Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

To Dip or Not to Dip?

Question,
I have this coin,graded Ms 61,old PCGS holder,
absolutely beautiful coin,(I would say MS 64+)but has some nasty coloration on the fields.
Should I send it to NGC's conservation company and have it dipped,then submit it for new grading or is this sacrilege and I should leave it as is,just crack it out and resubmit?image

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'd say no - in no uncertain terms. I think that coin would be ruined by dipping.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I'd leave it and enjoy it as is, why dip a piece of history such as this? the toning is part of the tale.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    What the Heck is that?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Goloid $1.00 pattern rariety 7.
    I just love patterns!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beautiful goloid pattern, IMO it's not a 61 because of the color, and won't be improved, only ruined by "working on it" Do Not Dip! My guess is that it's 61 because of light handling marks and hairlines, and might upgrade if submitted for review (in the holder)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I guess I havent been around the block yet, first time Ive ever seen one!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the photo, it doesn't look so dark that PCGS would knock a few points off the grade just for the color. If you insist, at least get a professional opinion before dipping the thing.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may get a lashing for my opinion but won't be the last I'm sure.... see what all the talk of dipping and upgrades does? Why can't people just buy coins they like to begin with and quit trying to "fix" ones they don't like. image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as is... that's a fascinating piece of history... don't hurt it...

This isn't one of Russie's billion AHs that can be ruined and no one cares image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Why crack it out? Pcgs does give upgrades on regrade submissions and it also prevents the risk of getting a lower grade or bodybag without recourse.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Best thing is to take it to a show and let Brian Silliman look at it at the NCS booth. He can give you an idea of suitability. Not every coin is helped -- even by conservation. Sometimes it can expose problems you didn't see. My personal opinion is to enjoy it as is.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input ,everyone,
    I just love this coin and I think I will leave it as is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file