Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is mint sets the way to go?

With it seeming that most people are buying coins for the grade than the coin is it wiser to start just buying mint sets and sending them in for gradeing hoping to get the 68 69 or 70 grades? you know you wont find those grades in the change esp teh older years . i see plenty of 62 63 and 64 mint sets and i wonder for $5 is it worth buying and grading?
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Some are and some are not. I have bought mint sets that have has some pretty banged up coins in them. I once bought a 72-S blue Ike only to get and find some big dents in Ike's face. It is all how the coins in the mint set were handled when they were packaged at the mintimage

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at our modern mint sets--some are real dogs. You have to grade the coins individually, then decide if they're worth sending in... of course, you don't need to send them in if they're not going to be sold...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    worth buying, maybe. worth grading... maybe. the education is pretty expensive though, and you'll spend lots of "tuition" money on grading fees, rather than coins.

But my advice would be to work on your 20th century type set, learn about coins, and then get into some coins from the 1800s.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i see plenty of 62 63 and 64 mint sets and i wonder for $5 is it worth buying and grading? >>

For the years you specifically mentioned, better coins are to be had in OBW rolls.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I think the mint sets have gotten marginally better in the past few years. I think the mint set s from the 70's and 80's are absolutely horrid. I gave up in the 90's, and I've been getting them again since the State Quarters came out.
  • Options
    Maybe they is. image

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I recently submitted about 27 coins selected from 30 2003 mint sets. That is less than 1 coin per 20 coins reviewed. I only had 4 loser coins, so I did well at not selecting coins not worth grading. 19 of the coins were valued between $20 and $125, and 3 were higher. Overall a very good submission. This comes after years of experience looking at coins and comparing to graded examples. These sets were fresh from the mint and had not been picked over yet. Many (most?) of the mint sets on e-bay have been reviewed already for high grade coins.

If you are talking buying a handful of e-bay sets, don't expect these results. Also, pre-1965 coins will run you$16 each.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    heh maybe ill get a 70 grade 62 63 or 64 penny hehe
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe ill get a 70 grade 62 63 or 64 penny >>

Good point--the people reviewing them before you were only looking for 66 and 67 grades. They left the 69/70 coins in there! he he he image
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Brian. Another thing about mint sets, as compared to OBW, the mint sets should contain higher quality coins as they are struck with greater pressure than coins struck for commerce. Therefore, as a rule, it is MHO that mint sets are the way to go when looking for high quality. Personally, I order about 20 mint sets per year. On average, I keep maybe four or five of them, the rest get sold on Ebay. Even if I take a dollar or two loss. My hope is to save only what I think are the best examples/quality. Also, from what the experts say here, unless you are experienced, in the long run you will probably save money buying them already slabbed.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Another thing about mint sets, as compared to OBW, the mint sets should contain higher quality coins as they are struck with greater pressure than coins struck for commerce. >>

Really?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Atarian,

Many collectors assume mint sets contain high quality gems. The 62-64 sets were of generally good quality, but not great. If you'll go look at the price guide, you'll see how likely you are to find what you seek. Generally speaking, the price guide reflects the amount of labor required to find the quality you hope to find. The coins are not rare. It is the investment of the searcher's time that you are paying for. If you are impatient, you'll likely look at a few dozen sets, pick out a few coins you like, submit them, and find that only a few were worth submitting. Before you spend several hundred dollars in grading fees, and too many days look at lots of picked over sets that have been examined by every collector in your city, spend a little time at one of the local shows and look (really look) at what holdered MS65 and better coins look like. You should consider borowing the MS grading video from the ANA. Membership is cheap, and they have a great library that you can borrow from. Happy hunting!
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Atarian, on a whim I recently picked up a couple of mint sets from the 80s in the price range you describe. Guess what I got? Coins worth exactly what I paid for them -- all the business strikes had some manner of error (light nicks, lines, marks, etc.) that eliminate them from the higher grades. Into the throwaway shoebox they went to mingle with the tarnished Peace Dollars, Wheats and SBAs!

So if you're looking for quality business strikes from mint sets, don't buy in online auctions or online stores, as these coins have been picked over. Look at the coins before you buy. Or, as others recommended above, order a few dozen sets from the mint, pick out the very best coins, and just submit those for grading.

In my experience the best raw coins you can get directly from the Mint are the silver proof sets (and even there, occasionally you'll get a set that has a marred coin, so back it goes). Quality is more suspect in the mint sets.

Concerning greater "pressure" to strike mint sets, I thought that was applicable only to proofs.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭
    70's and most 80's Mint sets are pathetic. However I have made several top pops searching 90's sets. However I believe many others have been doing the same in the past 6 months as seen in the huge increase in modern coin pop's. Just my observation. Buy slabs if you are putting together sets. Edgumacation is not cheap these days.imageimage
  • Options
    CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint set coins are struck on single vertical presses under increased pressure with new dies.
    There is variation from year to year in the preparation of dies and planchets and in how the
    struck coins are handled and packaged. There is rarely much variation within a year except
    for individual differences in the coins themselves. Quarter dies are used for about 30,000
    strikes and then removed and placed in the regular high speed presses. The mint set presses
    are usually run at lower speed and planchets are sometimes of better quality. Finished mint
    set coins are washed and dried.

Dies will occasionally get some of the treatments that proof dies recieve.

Unfortunately these coins will usually pick up significant marking and while dies are new and
    alignment is usually good, they can still come up lacking in strike, too.

With most of the post-1964 issues you'll need to look at about ten original sets to be confident
    of finding a nice choice example of a date. In this case choice will range from about MS-64 to
    MS-65. Few are much harder to find though Ikes will be only MS-63 in many cases.

A year ago it was relatively easy to find nice fresh original mint sets, but they are getting de-
    cidedly picked over now. Probably about half of the wholesale sets are still original, but from
    other sources they can be much tougher. This would especially apply to all Ikes, most halfs,
    SMS's, 1970 sets, 1973 sets and most of the later dates.

These sets still constitute the primary source for mint state moderns and still command very
    little attention. They are, however, beginning to increasingly trade at retail prices. These
    prices tend to be double or triple bid and significant numbers of sets are going to retailers
    and their customers. It is fascinating to see the prices that sets still sealed in the original
    mailing boxes are bringing. There has also been some interest in gem sets. These are much
    more common then mere chance would dictate but are also getting extremely hard to find.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While mint set coins may constitute an important part of most modern collections, they are
    by no means the be-all and end-all for collectors. Even though dies are used for a short per-
    iod, the production of mint sets is usually dwarfed by the production of the regular issue
    counterparts. Many more dies will be used to make the standard issue so many more varieties
    will appear which aren't available in mint sets. Also there are quite a few business strike coins
    which were simply never issued in mint sets.

While strikes are better in the sets, sometimes it's actually easier to find clean coins which
    were from the regular production runs. This applies to Ikes and quite a few of other coins of
    individual date/mm.

Unfortunately there was extremely little interest in these coins when they were issued and in
    many cases very small numbers were saved. This has resulted in some varieties which are
    very rare or non-existent in unc and coins which are rare without marking.

There is no one way to form a modern collection so there is no one way to slab coins for them.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file