Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

WHY IS THIS 54 BOWMAN MAYS ONLY A GAI 5.5

This sure looks better than 5.5 to me. The right edge looks suspicious to me though. Do you think GAI had doubts about this card and downgraded it accordingly. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Always looking for High Grade Pete Rose @ Mint 1975 Topps

Comments

• Do you got a link or photo?
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • OOOPS. Here's the card. imageText
    Always looking for High Grade Pete Rose @ Mint 1975 Topps
  • Nine times out of 10 when a card looks really nice but is a very low grade by PSA SGC or GAI it has a small paper wrinkle on it somewhere. Also since the back is not shown it could either have horrendous centering bordering on miscut or the card could have a gum stain wich is much more severe and would lower the grade much more then a wax stain would. But as I said earlier it is most likely due to a paper wrinkle wich is different from a crease.
  • As stated above, my guess would be a very slight wrinkle. The centering is also a major player in the grade. Here's the standards from GAI:

Global EX+ (5.5)
    Appears to be very similar to a Global EX 5 card but will have a superior characteristic.

Global EX (5)
    May exhibit a few flaws including very light rounding of the corners, loss of surface gloss and a very light surface wrinkle may be evident. Approximate centering of 80/20 on the front.

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
  • wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    According to the seller's description, the only flaw is centering. I've dealt with him before, and I think he's an honest and fair dealer. It's hard to see the corners, but without considering the centering, the card could be a 7 or 8. Now factor in the centering which is off both ways, and it is very reasonable for it to go down a 1.5-2.5 grades.

If the card was centered, I would probably think of surface defect as someone mentioned. I had a nice sharp 82D Ripken and 79T Gretzky that both came back as PSA 6 due to surface indentations that I found after the fact. I also have a 90OPCPREM Jagr that came back a 5, and to this day, I cannot find the flaw.