Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone receive one of these emails?

Says that you need to update your Ebay information. They ask you for your ebay information, name, password, and such. They also ask for your bank account information, check routing numbers, credit card AND PIN. Also asks for your email address and password.
I have gotten about 10 of these over the last month. All threaten to cancel my EBAY account if I do not update my information. They look real official and appear to be legit.

I delete everyone, and not given any info. Just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard about this. The latest one has been fowarded to EBAY (like they care).

Comments

• Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Pretty much everyone gets them at one point or another. These scammers just hope that they one or two willing participants who don't realize they are being taken.

The best things to do are delete them and forward to spoof@ebay.com
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>...The best things to do are delete them and forward to spoof@ebay.com >>

As I found out last month, that is a waste of time. Check the thread - I emailed a legitimate email from ebay to spoof@ebay.com and I got the same response that it was not from ebay. Nobody at ebay looks at these emails or does anything about them. It would cut into the bottom line. image

JEB.
  • Options
    I get them quite regularly (PayPal ones too). I've went through the e-mailing thing with both EBay and PayPal, which was a waste of time (got generic responses - not from a human). I just make deleting them a part of my regular e-mail check.
    Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    EBAY doesn't care if you give someone your bank account info. Hell, they probably give it the crooks if they paid enough money. EBAY knows we all depend on them, and because they provide such a unique product (corned the market), they can act how ever they want. If they did care, they would be able to put a stop to some of the fraud occurring on EBAY.
    I got some form letter when I sent them the email about the email I got. I have a feeling nobody really cares
  • Options
    40oz man has written the tall-boy of all responses.

As long as EBAY doesn't lose the cash, they don't care
    Always wanting odd-ball Nolan Ryan's.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I would never say this, but I wish there was some competition to ebay, even a small company that just specializes in sports cards and memorobilia. That kind of small company can later expand and they would do a better job of preventing a lot of these fraudulent auctions, retaliatory negative feedback, bad customer service, etc. Big guys like jtcards would thrive and continue to thrive, but the crooks would have it harder and good riddance.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    I got one of those kind of spoof mail from my old email used for ebay. ebay ID, password, name address,ss#, bank account, check rout#, credit card, PIN, driver's lic#. It was a long page with lots of fill in of information. Looks very much like ebay. I forward to ebay and changed my ebay's email address.

After a week, I got spoofs on my new email! About 5 more.

One time I lookup the full headers of that spoof mail. I copied and paste email address on to ebay to see who that belongs to and turned out email belongs to a NARU ebay ID. I just don't know how these people do those things. Maybe someone hacked their site and was able to get our email addresses.

I haven't got any spoof mail for like 5 months or so. Always ebay spoof mail. I never got paypal spoof mail.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I always type in a graphic, expletive-laced response as my password.
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...The best things to do are delete them and forward to spoof@ebay.com >>

As I found out last month, that is a waste of time. Check the thread - I emailed a legitimate email from ebay to spoof@ebay.com and I got the same response that it was not from ebay. Nobody at ebay looks at these emails or does anything about them. It would cut into the bottom line. image

JEB. >>

JEB:

I remember someone saying they would try with a legit e-mail. Thanks for the update as I missed that original response. That's pretty funny, sad, pathetic, take your pick, that eBay responded like that.
  • Options
    Vargha, maybe I'll try that next time. Or how but putting in a bunch of bogus info, just to waste their time. I assume that if they got the email back, and it was filled out, they would spend a little time trying to rob you with the info. Might be worth a little time, to waste some of their's