Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

nobody but me bid on this LINCOLN CENT coin?!

mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
i know ther are very few in this or any grade for that matter.

do you think i paid too much? i don't !

but i thought it odd nobody else had an interest in it. good fer me!...image

here tis

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that no one else had any interest in it at that level should tell you something.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    are you a lincoln collector? ...i didn't think so..
  • Options
    I saw the auction. The price seems fair I just like more dramatic doubling.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    That's a great buy for a rare coin!!!!

Congrats!!

Dennis
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    I already own one of those. But, mine is in an ANACS holder. I bought it from a board member about a year ago or so. Very nice coin indeed. I think if the starting price was lower, you would have seen more action on the coin.

Seems to me, from my experience, that if two of the same coins are auctioned, one at say $200.00 and one at starting bid of $1.00, the one for $1.00 would get allot more action and most of the time sell for more than the $200.00 coin.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I missed that oneimage

I'm into steel cents latelyimage

• Options
    That was a nice coin...I was going to bid on it, but I was going for the 1995 D DDO that was being offered...I ended up not getting it either....image
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Rampage about starting bids and how they can affect bidding on EBAY. For example, I'm now in the middle of auctioning my Morgan set. Every coin had a no reserve starting bid of $1, including my anacs 1893-S. I am VERY pleased with the response so far; and I think bidders look more closely at lots with multiple bids entered. It's sorta like a "feeding frenzy", I think.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    mozeppa
    That coin is listed in the Wexler and Flynn book as URS 7,but it also says value in MS65 $35 right below that.image

I have the book.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>are you a lincoln collector? ...i didn't think so.. >>

I'm an experienced collector who is very wary of the pricing seen on many minor errors. You are involved in a relatively thin market. Don't buy unless you can steal.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭
    A tough coin!! I missed that auction!! Good job!! But a little pricey for this poor boy from the Midwest.image
  • Options

<< <i>A tough coin!! I missed that auction!! Good job!! But a little pricey for this poor boy from the Midwest.image >>

"A little pricey".....That coming from someone who just made a post about 2004 hopeful finds and hoping to find a 1969S Lincoln DDO for under 25K. imageimageimage
  • Options
    For what it is worth cherrypickers' shows this coin as urs-7 but $250 in ms-63.
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    The price guides for the minor varieties are ALWAYS off. Sometimes by 25% other times by 200%. I think this is a nice coin. I was looking to cherrypick one this weekend but did not have any luck.
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>mozeppa
    That coin is listed in the Wexler and Flynn book as URS 7,but it also says value in MS65 $35 right below that.image

I have the book. >>

Hi Don....
    I also have that book...yep 35 bucks alright!image

Then in cherry pickers it also says urs 7 ms-63 = $250.oo ....betterimage

I saw only one... a pcgs ms-64 at the last indianapolis show ...the guy wanted $500 for it ...I passed

Since I've been a member on Ebay ...I've only seen 6 or 7 ..with most of those being corroded to xf condition.
    and one of those was a fake. ( I did see only one in ms ...passed on it though)

I mostly collect error lincolns...and I have most of the very popular ones...so getting this slightly obscure
    one is a welcome addition to the fold.

and to find one mint state and non corroded is a plus.

Another respondant stated that he was an "experienced collector wary of pricing on minor error coins...don't buy unless you can steal!"
    to him I say...

I'm not in this "relatively thin market" to make a killing in the market...if I wanted to do that iI wouldn't enjoy this hobby.

what the hell ever happened to ...collect it cuz ya love the hobby?

I bought it because I wanted it!..... unless you specialize in lincoln cents...don't hit and run with a silly remark like...

"The fact that no one else had any interest in it at that level should tell you something"

This thread told me already that others may have wanted it as well!
    I feel I was lucky ...Your trying to tell anyone reads this that I was stupid!
    well I'm an experienced collector too! ...about 43 years!

This coin is rare enough that I didn't have it ...now I will!

Enough of my rant now by the way who else has one in 65 ?

edited for spelling.
  • Options
    mozeppa-

You got a good deal on that coin, no doubt. As most people know, finding a gem 1943 cent is hard since allot of those have corroded over time. The fact that you have a rare die variety is even more special.

Don't let people try to bring you down. This is a great find.

Richard.
  • Options
    moz,
    Glad you ranted, because it gave me some context/background/info on why this was a good price.
    I wouldn't have known otherwise, since I don't collect errors.
    thanks
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    I don't think you did to bad, #1 YOU wanted the coin and #2 Teletrade had a MS66 go for $525 so your 65 was a couple hundred less. (I don't know if there is that much of a difference between 65 & 66 but, Hey YOU wanted the coin thats 100% reason to buy!)

Teletrade 43 steelie
  • Options
    Thanks guys...I thought iI did ok too

I feel validated!
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    mozeppa
    I wasn't knocking your purchase.I was just stating a fact.As a fellow Lincoln collector,I too have paid what some would consider crazy money for one of my babies.Truth be told,I paid $900 for a 1954 PR68 RD.I also paid $500 for a 1958 PR69 RD pop 1/0.All of those chasing the Cam's and DCAM's would consider me NUTS.So believe me when I say,I'd be the last to knock what you paid for a coin you wanted !
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Bottom line is with any purchase, are you happy? I don't collect errors even though I think they are very cool. I see them all over the boards in price on eBay and at shows (for same type errors). I think it's a very cool coin and you did ok IMO.
    Joe
    P.S. Happy New Year to all the great people on this forum, haven't had a chance to say it to you all yet, this is still the BEST coin forum going!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one of those "corroded XF" examples on eBay some time ago for around $35, and considered myself lucky. I think you paid a fair price for that one - not too much but not a "rip".

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭
    do you think i paid too much?

I have no idea if you paid too much. image

However, a board member responded to your question and you proceeded to get very defensive.

So, did you really want honest feedback to your question or just be "validated"? image

Joe.
  • Options

<< <i>do you think i paid too much?

I have no idea if you paid too much. image

However, a board member responded to your question and you proceeded to get very defensive.

So, did you really want honest feedback to your question or just be "validated"? image

Joe. >>

No Joe I wasn't "seeking" validation ...I was the way I felt after others stated that they also would like this coin ..in that grade
    several later stated as much.

I welcome socratic dialogue, and critique when asked for...if its constructive.
    I "got" defensive only when the first poster "poo pooed my purchase" with the statement he made ....in a public forum...for all to see
    that.... and I quote..."The fact that no one else had any interest in it at that level should tell you something."

That response is thinly veiled to say...everyone else was smart in passing on this coin...so there must be something wrong with you
    for buying it.

He could have only said "well its more than I would have paid for it "...and left it at that.

But no ...he made that statment is if what he had to say was gospel...or he's an authority.

Here...re-read my original post...

I know there are very few in this or any grade for that matter.
    do you think I paid too much? I don't
    but I thought it odd nobody else had an interest in it. good fer me!...

Fact #1 there some of these around...but very few in clean mint state.

Do you think I paid too much? (admittedly an opening for critique)...however I stated that I didn't think it was too much.
    and yes I did think it odd that this lucky find for me did slip through un-noticed...with the holidays upon us...I figured that
    might of had some bearing on the slip-through.

Maybe I think now that its not so much that "nobody had any interest"...I think it was more of a comedy of events that it didn't get
    bid on by anyone but me.
    (and for some people 325 bucks might be a little strain on the after christmas budget.)

Sure ...I welcome intellegent critique.

I get "defensive" when someone wants to lead everyone else here to believe that I'm silly for buying it or even considering it.

If I do commit a greiveous act of "stupid" I'll be one of the first to have a good laugh at myself for it!...I'm not thin skinned.

But one does wonder about anyone that say's things like... "I'm a experienced collector"

then in the next line he say's ..."don't buy it unless you can steal it".....if thats the case ...his collection couldn't consist of much...

either way I'm not gonna judge someone I don't really know...not up to me.

For Don Merz...didn't take it wrong ...you got it right
    For JLW you hit the nail on the big flat end!....I could afford it ...and I'm 100% happy about it.image
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you got a fair deal.

If you like the coin you got a great deal.

It's a hobby to me and sometimes price is not important.
    Sometimes you just gota have it image
    Larry

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭
    What a silly thread this has turned into. Geez, the bottom line is that some of us pay crazy money for things others would not . To each his own.....image
  • Options

<< <i>What a silly thread this has turned into. Geez, the bottom line is that some of us pay crazy money for things others would not . To each his own.....image >>

thanks...i agree!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file