Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1981-S Proof Set, Type I and II

Can anyone please explain the difference or show a picture, between the type I (filled S) and the type II (Clear S), 1981 proof set?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    They are both 'clear' mint marks on the 1981 coins. They are just different shape.
    Check out the pictures of the SBA in the red book.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    Here's a Type II

Here's a Type I

Go here for an educational explanation from Ken Potter -- KoinPro Educational Website

Pictures are from his website.

Michael
  • Options
    And by the way, there's probably even a Type III that no one has identified yet. It's easy to tell the type Is from the IIs. It this third type that makes it hard and where alot of people make mistakes. It just takes practice and you'll get the hang of it, so much that you won't even need a loupe to tell the difference.

Michael
  • Options
    is there a preminum for 1 type over the other?
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    The "S" mint mark on type 2 coins is a lot sharper than the type 1. They call type 1 coins as "filled" or "fat S. When looking at proof IKES, the difference is on the fonts used on lettering on Reverse of the coin. Not totally sure about MS Ikes - 1972.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    This is a type 1. Hard to see the MM though.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file