Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How can one tell if a coin has been cleaned or dipped?

What are the signs or indications that a coin has been cleaned or dipped. It is in my opinion it can be difficult to tell if one has been cleaned. Does it change the luster or cartwheel affect? What can one look for in determing if a coin has been dipped and or cleaned? Can anyone post two coins side by side dispalying the difference? Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Comments

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    In general, if a coin has been properly dipped, you can not tell, nor can the experts. Sometimes a coin has been overly dipped (too long or too many times) and the luster is impaired. Other times, a coin that had dark toning or spots has been dipped and shadows of those problems remain after the dipping.

Over-dipping might lead to calling a coin cleaned. More often, cleaning refers to a coin that has been "wiped" with something which leaves behind telltale marks (hairlines) that are evidence of the tampering.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim: Take a look at the following thread, and also do a text search on the word "dipped" through the CU forum search function for alot of background discussions on this subject.

Dipped Coin Thread:

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. The info was helpful. Ethier way, sounds like I have my homework cut out for me.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Yeah, there is no substitute for seeing many coins that have been cleaned or dipped. Next time you are at a show, look at a lot of cleaned coins. The more you see first hand, the easier it gets.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    If you look at a coin with your naked eye it's very hard to tell. But it's very easy to tell from a scan or photo because or discoloration that a scan or photo will pick up that your naked eye won't.

I could call this original but it aint cause I know better. I cracked it out of an NGC holder, dipped it and put it in a PCGS holder. The rev tone was too heavy and didn't come off. The grade didn't change, MS64.

This one was already overdipped & retoning when I cracked ot out of an ANACS 62 holder, dipped it again & put it in a PCGS 63 holder. It's really not brown in real life, just kinda of dull white.

Want a close up? YUCK!!!

I know this 98 was dipped, I didn't do it but I know who did. Notice the brown peripheral retoning. It's been darker & progressing over the years I owned it.

This used to be a bag toned DMPL Morg. You can see remanents of the textile pattern on the face.

I cracked & dipped this one in 1999 to get rid of the black spot but it was a slag mark & quickly came back. Still holdered @ the previous grade. Can't tell can you?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics dog97. You can really see the job on the 97 "yuck" agreed. However, on the other hand the 78 Morgan looked good, in fact too good.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    A overdipped coin often has dull, flat luster looking like this...

imageimage

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics one and all. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, figure coins of a certain age that are white or light have been dipped--namely seated and bust... original coins from that era will be somewhat dark (which is how I like 'em image)

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Jim

while it can sometimes be easy to tell an improperly dipped coin or a poorly selected and then dipped coin, it can also be difficult if not impossible to discern the opposite. the problem is a coin past the "point of no return" getting a helping hand. i think dog97 posted a few good examples of coins which should have been left alone.

al h.image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the date. If it's before 1900, and the coin is "blast white", chances are 99%+ that it's been dipped.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll contribute to this to try and show what a cleaning and re-toned (secondary) coin looks like and what to look for. There are some hairlines but I've seen worse holdered by the big two services. You can see how the color and toning kind of float on the surface and don't really grab into the surface of the coin. Also you just don't see some nice original dirtimage in the denticles and devices. Just has a funky look to it and after you see a few with original toning.... you will know this coin I have posted is what you DON'T want to buy. Unless that's what you are looking for. I bought this as an example only, and think it's a good idea for anyone to own one and study it.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file