Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The rise of Rose card prices amidst his new book

Rose was one of the guys I liked to collect when I started this hobby back in the 80's.

I am speculating that amid rumors that he may become reinstated and eventually be inducted into the the HOF, his card prices should see a surge across the board. Publicity has that power. This is big news regarding his confession that he bet on baseball. He will draw a lot of attention.

I remember the 1987 Donruss David Cone rookie surge up to $20 when he got the no-hitter. Let's see what happens to Rose.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• I tend to agree with you on the card prices. Since he will be in the limelight, all of his stuff will most probably rise in value (cards and memorabilia). This will definitely be interesting to watch.
    Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Actually, Rose's prices have been strong for years. This might give them a bump, but it's not like he's been cheap. I do foresee lots of ungraded singles and lots that ordinarily might languish unsold being sold to people who haven't thought about baseball cards in 20 years.

I also predict that Pete will sign more cards for the card companies in the next year or two than all other players combined. Imagine what a UD Sweet Spot Pete Rose or SPx Rose bat/jersey/auto will go for when they first hit.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Just want to throw out that 3 of my Rose cards went for strong prices.I was shocked to see the 1980 540 sell for full SMR when the average price usually doesn't break $50.The PSA 10 # 4 Highlights 1/2 sold for an awesome price,and the 9 it replaced sold for what the 540 usually goes for on average.

Sad to see them go but happy with the results.

• 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Rose cards have been strong, but I anticipate a surge in availability and not necessarily in price. His cards command a premium as a non HOF player, and realize prices on par with many names - including Mantle and Mays. I think that some of the oddball stuff will come out of the woodwork and the Rose Master crew will createw a bidding war. I think the prices would surge only if there are new additions to the respective player sets and not because he is reinstated.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • I agree. Rose's cards have always seemed strong. I guess even though the media and the commish's office didn't see it that way, the fans of baseball still saw rose as the player and not the bettor
    Always wanting odd-ball Nolan Ryan's.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I'm actually thinking that once Rose gets into the HOF and he is there for a little while, his card prices will fall. Over the past decade, Joe Jackson and Pete Rose prices have been particularly high, especially because (I think) of their controversial playing days and the ongoing debate on whether or not they should be in the HOF. Once they are there -- the debate is settled, people will talk about it less, and the prices will subsequently fall. That's what I think anyway. Of course -- I tend to think that the BoSox fan base would fall, also, if they should win the World Series. We shall see -- I like being contrarian.

Cheers-
    MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course the prices will fall after the media hype is over with. I am just talking about an initial surge in prices and then things will settle again. Basically, a good time to sell is now, just like RobE experienced. Prices will always drop and rise depending on what happens. Maybe Rose will manage again after he is inducted, so that will create interest once again.

Also, any athlete that has outside talents (such as in acting, business, government office) will create and maintain a large fan base over the years beyond his playing years. Jim Abbott continues his charity endeavors and remains a respected community member. Jesse "The Body" has a nice career as governor of MN against all those odds and doubters. Arnold Schwarzenegger had a successful acting career after retiring from his sport and is now governor of our state. Don Mattingly will be hitting coach, maybe manager one day, and could be invited to run for public office (the democrats tried to lure him once already). These people I mentioned have a way of remaining in the spot light because they are able to excel in different things. This will only help their fan base and card prices.

What I am saying is that there are many different things that will keep interest in a former athlete and maybe increase fan base. Babe Ruth will always remain a cultural icon, a symbol of the times, an all-time great baseball player---people will want a piece of history.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee