Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about cleaned coins..

These are what is reffered to as "whizzed", correct?

Comments

• Options
    i cant get the link to work..dont know if it's my browser or not....sorry. image

MY BAD...link worked. image

they definately looked cleaned to me. More cleaned that whizzed, but i'm not an expert.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about the whizzed but they look like they have been sliding around in their holders for quite some time. The black rings look smashed.
    Larry

• Options
    I'd say they look harshly cleaned:

• Options
    Either way they're worth very little right? I just wanted to make sure what to look out for. image
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Harshly cleaned is right. They don't look whizzed to me. They'd be much shinier if they were whizzed. Close inspection would should many small hairlines and sometimes a buildup of metal along the edge of devices. There is no reason to buy coins that look like this. They are ruined!

See my signature line...
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Dipped....way too much.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    No, those aren't a good example of whizzing or harsh cleaning. Whizzing makes a shiny mirror prooklike look & harsh cleaning would leave hairlines. They look to have been polished, like maybe lightly wiped with a jewelry polishing cloth. The stains & discoloration also indicates a chemical cleaning.
    The 2 1904's are the best example of this, with the 99 looking polished and the rest could have very well been lightly polished but an AU50-55 with rub will also give the same look in a scan or photo as the 79, 96, & 1900. But I'm not saying the 79, 96, & 1900 are original because it's hard to tell for sure from the photos.
    Here's one with a similiar look, as you can see it's in a PCGS holder, graded AU53.

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Harshly cleaned but not whizzed.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file