Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HELP with Sony Mavica FD75 needed!

I am trying to take coin pics with a sony fd75 mavica, I am using a stand and good light , but cannot get good results. Does anyone know if this camera is capable of good coin picks. If so what setting do i choose. Thanks in advance.
Michael

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

I have had a Mavica Floppy Disc for 4 years and use it all the time. The hardest thing about them is Light! Sunlight works well if you can take photos outside.

I also bought an optional close up lens for mine which was used on this pic.

• Options
    Goose that is a nice picture. i will try sunlight, how does the closeup lense attach?
    Michael
  • Options
    just screws right into the front of the lens.

I think my camera is a FD81???

The lens should be threaded inside. Check yours and then get on ebay and find a close up lens unless the newer mavica's have much better zoom capabilities.

The FE pic was taken on my porch
  • Options
    Goose, I do see the threads and i will try ebay. Thanks for you helpimage
    Michael
  • Options
    The lens on the Sony FD-75 is one of the most powerful of any in the entire consumer digital camera range. The range of 40 - 400mm or 10X zoom far surpasses the more standard 2X - 3X zoom lenses found on a majority of digital cameras on the market. The lens is a definite feature of this camera and even features a macro function for close-up photography.

I found this on the Fd75. What is the Macro function?????????? Mine does not have that I don't believe.
  • Options
    I cannot find the Macro function and I no longer have the booklets that came with it, maybe I need to start there and find out how to use macro
    Michael
  • Options
    You might be able to download them from Sony or maybe edit your thread title to something such as

HELP with Sony Mavica FD75 needed!

and maybe someone else on here can help.
  • Options
    Thanks again Goose, you have me headed in the right direction.
    Michael
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by not good results?
    I have the FD100 and get good pics.

Maybe post one of your pictures so we can see what your getting.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    If your Mavica is like mine, there's a four way switch on the right side of the screen on the reverse. If you push the arrow to the right, it should turn on the macro. When the macro is on, there is a little flower that is shown on the screen when taking pictures...if you've got the function turned on that shows all your info on the screen.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    You can download a copy of the FD75 user manual here. Put in "MVCFD75" in the search field.

My Sony is a different model, but the way you activate Macro is by pushing the Focus button until an icon of a flower appears in the display.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    A special lens for a Sony Mavica? Why not just tape a loupe to the lens for close-ups? It only cost a few cents for a piece of tapeimage. I just took this picture this afternoon with the the good old taped loupe trick. If you need more evidence of how good this method works just look at my NGC $5 set. mike image
    • Options
      FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
      This is about all I can get out of the FD73 Sony I have. Mine just plain will not take a decent picture in Sun Light. Best results are in a dark room with one or two light sources.

Ken
    • Options
      darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
      Oh yeah by the way my camera is a Sony FD75. Once you get the loupe taped to the lens put a desk lamp on both sides of the coin and prop the coin up to an angle where it is lit up. It's been a while since I read any directions but the camera has the EV setting put it at +1 to +1.5 and put the brightness up to about 2/3's and fine tune from there. good luck! mike image
    • Options
      CoinAddict, Yes it did help THANK YOU

Blackhawk, I pushed arrow right and got the macro on, saw the flower. Thanks Much

kranky, Thanks for the link and the help

darktone, Mike that is a great picture, I will try that trick Thanks

Fairlaneman, Nice picture and Thanks for the help with lighting ect.

Thanks everyone for the help, you guys are great
      Michael
    • Options
      Here' my latest attempt, It a big improvement for me

Michael
    • Options
      bttup
      Michael
    • Options
      PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
      The cent looks pretty good. Practice with it and the lighting and you will be a expert in no time.
    • Options
      FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nice picture of the Lincoln cent. For some reason the model I have seems to do pretty good with copper type coins. Usually only one or two shots must be taken of this type to get the image pretty close to what it looks like in hand. Maybe the reason is because none are in slabs.

The settings used were not put in the previous post. EV is at +.05 and the Light/Dark is about half way as someone else mentioned.

Ken
    • Options
      I've used a sony Mavica almost exclusively for the past 2 years and the features that I enjoy most are the lens capability. Yes - you have to dink with the lights, but once you get a handle on those, you can take pretty decent pictures!

Frank

PS - Feel free to pm any questions you might have image

• Options
      Make sure you set the white balance to indoor. I recently went to the MVC FD200. They are all great cameras. I love the 200 for taking pictures of toned Morgan dollars. A good photoshop program like the one from microsoft is a great help as well. image
      In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file