Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Something very suspicious about the Heritage Bullet Sale (bidding related).

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
So, I decide to place a bid on a coin. Before I place it, the coin is at $17. I pop in a max bid of $751. This is the response after I place it:

Your maximum bid was in the amount of: $751.00 ($863.65 with BP)
After processing all the open bids for this lot, the current bid price is $751.00 ($863.65 with BP)

Huh? It immediately jumps $734 to exactly my maximum? What's up with that?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ,

Your bid is $1 more than the underbidder.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Maybe the reserve was $750.00
    Michael
  • Options

<< <i>Your bid is $1 more than the underbidder. >>

That's what Heritage would like us to believe. I think it's a conspiracy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really want to play this game? Think about it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I won two lots in a Hertiage Bullet Sale last year ~ both were at my max bids
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ,

The underbidder bid $750 dollars thus your bid just got maxed out. It also happens to me from time to time.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    If the underbidder had a max of $750, wouldn't I have to have bid one increment above that to be high bidder? The increment is $25.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure your bid won't win, but good luck.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Don,

No fair, you peeked! image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reserve is higher than your bid....thus your bid maxes out but you won't win the lot at your price when all is said and done [unless the reserve gets lowered].
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the underbidder had a max of $750, wouldn't I have to have bid one increment above that to be high bidder? The increment is $25.

Russ, NCNE >>

No I have won a Heritage auction by $1.00 before on a $600 or so coin.
    I never bid nice even amounts at Heritage.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    tradedollarnut nut has it right. mike
  • Options
    So, the tightwad up ahead of me had a max of only $17? Must have just been a placeholder bid.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Placid is right. You can't be forced to pay more than your maximum bid.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding Heritage bidding, I bid a max of $1500 on line (Baltimore ANA 2003) and got the lot for about $300. Don't recall ever getting a coin on line (with Heritage) AT my max bid.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    This is why I have never and never will bid in a live auction over the internet.
  • Options
    The only time that you don't have to have a full bidding increment
    is if you have already gone up over a full increment and end up a
    partial increment over. If the previous high bidder put $750 in as
    max, then your $751 is good. HOWEVER, if you decided to raise
    your max bid and put it a max of $850, Heritage would bump your
    bid to $775 to be a full increment over the previous bid of $750.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Back in Oct there was a broadstruck nickle I bid on, a 1986 to be exact....I bid 80, and it immeadiately went to 80 from nada, and I won it...story doesnt end there...I was waiting to hear from heritage (i emailed after 2 days no word). Well heritage called 2 weeks ago and left a message that they were gonna tag me a non paying bidder...I AM NOT THE ONE THAT WAITED 2 MONTHS...so screw heritage and their nappy auctions.

I will never do business with them again...I had some coins that were gonna be included in FUN..well when they called I told them about their antics and let them know I was no longer interested.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    oh and russ

save your money

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Russ Et Al,
    Can someone tell me the difference in all these Heritage sales going on at the same time. This is the first time I have bid in one of the Heritage sales. I bid in the Fun sale. So what is the difference in the Bullet sale, the Fun sale, etc?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, for the record, I usually bid online for about 100 coins in every Heritage Signature sale. I've never had a problem with the integrity of the bid execution, and I'm pretty sure I understand exactly how it works.

As for Russ, if you are the high bidder at $751, another bidder bid $750. If you are not the high bidder, someone else bid $751, believe it or not. (If the reserve bid was $750, the bid would already have been shown at $750.)

The fact that some bozo was the third highest bidder at $16 means nothing. Unless, of course, it was for an accented hair half, in which case it might be a clue as to the coins "real" value. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    <<The fact that some bozo was the third highest bidder at $16 means nothing. Unless, of course, it was for an accented hair half, in which case it might be a clue as to the coins "real" value. >>

• Options
    Got it thanks for the PM
  • Options
    Lots of bidders initially bid low to tag a coin instead of using the tracking. Then they may or may not come back and up their bid later. The other people are exactly right. The person who bid just before you bid a max of 750. image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    Is that #31472? I thought you were bidding on a real halve!! You know, a PR67Dcam Franklin!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options

<< <i>The fact that some bozo was the third highest bidder at $16 means nothing. Unless, of course, it was for an accented hair half, in which case it might be a clue as to the coins "real" value. >>

Bite me, Andy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Here is somthing else, that is very interesting. You know how many people like to wait until the last day
    to bid so people wont know what they are willing to pay. I bid several days ago on a coin, and the second highest bidder is behind me just a few dollars, but the next bid must be $80 higher. This puts this
    coin at retail + if he/she bids.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Russ - you said it jumped to $751 your max bid

did you tell us that now you were the high bidder?

if not someone could have bid $10,000 on that coin - and each time another underbidder bids - it will bid to their max

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bite me, Andy.

Russ - Consider yourself bit! image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assisted someone in placing an internet bid of roughly $25k right before internet bidding ended in a Heritage sale recently. The lot was sitting at roughly $19k and went to around $19.5k after the bid. That is also where the lot closed the following day after floor bidding ended. This experience and many, many others confirms for me the following (IMHO):

1. Heritage runs straight and honest auctions.

2. I have -0- concern entering internet bids on Heritage lots with no fear of getting run up unfairly.

If my experience ever changes, I may change my position, but, that has not been the case to this point. image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Russ - you said it jumped to $751 your max bid

did you tell us that now you were the high bidder? >>

Yes, I'm currently the high bidder. But, as Don pointed it, that ain't going to last long. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Why should Russ be mad...noone here has ever bid more than they are willng to pay.

Stu

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file