Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is on this commem?

Hey, i was digging through some more of my gradparents old collection and i found this boxed with a $10 gold piece. I turned it over and it was beautifully toned. Much more blue and red then the picture. Anyways my question is, what is that under the T in LIBERTY. Is it a partial fingerprint? If anyone knows please LMK,

Thanks,

Chase

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    thats where the graders scratched it to see if it was plated or not. image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Looks like hairlines.
  • Options
    O well, i really like the coin, wish it didnt have the marks though the other side is blast white, might post a pic later
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and with wonderful color. (If you're ever interested in selling it, PM me.)
    The "marks" you are referring to are probably simple toning areas- an area that didn't tone like the rest of the coin, and not damage.
    It's a pretty commemorative.

peacockcoins

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    That's pretty color on what I think is the best looking modern commemimage
  • Options
    I thought about that after i posted this, when its tilted it doesn't look scratched or hurt in any ways, but just a lighte toning.

Ill post a pic of the obverse in a sec, also is there any way i can with a scanner capture the true color of the coin? It has more of a blue outer rim, then redder, then golden
  • Options
    Well just for kicks here is the obverse, it has the same kind of spot on the front also, the picture shows darker and somewhat blue, but it is really very white

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file