Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"word is" Rose admits to betting on baseball

"word is" Rose admits to betting on baseball

Saturday, January 3, 2004

With publication of his new book, Pete Rose may be changing his story, admitting publicly for the first time what he's been denying for 14 years, that he bet on baseball.

The Philadelphia Inquirer, citing a "person privy to some of the contents" of "My Prison Without Bars," reports in its Saturday edition that Rose confesses in the book, which has been embargoed until its official publication date Thursday.

Citing a major league official, the New York Times reported Wednesday that Rose, in fact, told commissioner Bud Selig on Nov. 25, 2002, that he had bet on baseball. On Friday, in an op-ed article in the Times, former baseball commissioner Fay Vincent, writing about the book, notes that "word is" Rose admits to betting on baseball, but that he "confronts his past with very little remorse."

It is believed that Rose will have to both admit to gambling on baseball and apologize for his actions for Selig to reinstate him into good standing, thus making him eligible for election to the Hall of Fame.

As ESPN.com columnist Rob Neyer speculated on Dec. 17, and as the Inquirer and Times have noted in their recent articles and columns, such a mea culpa by Rose in his book would come two days after the new Hall of Fame class is announced and could be the start of Rose's campaign for redemption and induction.

According to the Inquirer, Rodale Press, which is publishing the book, declined Friday to comment on the contents of the book.

Rose was banned from baseball for life in 1989 by commissioner Bart Giamatti after being investigated for gambling while managing the Cincinnati Reds. Rose was declared ineligible for the Hall of Fame in 1991.

In the agreement between Giamatti and Rose suspending Rose, baseball did not formally conclude that Rose was guilty of gambling on the sport but Giamatti stated that he personally believed that Rose had bet on baseball.

Giamatti had before him the findings of independent investigator John Dowd, who detailed 412 baseball wagers that he said Rose made between April 8 and July 5, 1987, while managing the Reds, including 52 bets on Cincinnati to win.

Rose applied to Selig for reinstatement in 1997 and Selig began reviewing the appeal in earnest after the November 2002 meeting during which Rose is said to have confessed.

Selig declined to comment to the Inquirer Friday on the latest developments, reiterating that Rose has the right to appeal his lifetime ban and that he, the commissioner, is reviewing the case. Such a review would undoubtedly include the contents of the new book -- whether there's a confession and, if a confession, whether there's an apology.

As for the Hall of Fame, a player has a 15-year period starting five years after his retirement during which he is eligible for election by the baseball writers. If Rose is reinstated, his final year of eligibility on the ballot would be in December 2005. After that, his possible selection would pass to the veterans committee, which includes all living Hall of Famers, some of whom are adamantly opposed to his induction.

The first printing of the book, priced at $24.95, is huge at 500,000 copies. With those numbers, Rodale Press obviously expects Rose's book to make a big splash, and, according to the Inquirer's source, baseball's all-time hit leader has delivered.
Where have you gone Dave Vargha
CU turns its lonely eyes to you
What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
hey hey hey

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    So he is admitting what everyone else already knew. Hardly a revelation.
    Did he "come clean" to help sell his book, or to get back in the good graces of Bud Selig & company for reinstatement.
    During the last decade and change worth of interviews he blatantly denied betting on baseball, so now he admits it.
    He just should have said "no comment" - Now he has egg on his face for lying to all his fans and supporters over the years...jay
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

I don't read too much but I will certainly read this one.The next few months will be interesting,that's for sure.I wonder what the reactions will be.

Vic

Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options

<< <i>Did he "come clean" to help sell his book, or to get back in the good graces of Bud Selig & company for reinstatement.
    During the last decade and change worth of interviews he blatantly denied betting on baseball, so now he admits it.
    He just should have said "no comment" - Now he has egg on his face for lying to all his fans and supporters over the years >>

It is going to be very interesting indeed
    to see how he handles the
    admission considering he was so
    adament about the fact he did not
    do it all this time.
    It will be a peice of promotion/marketing legend
    if he is able to come out the other side of this
    smelling, well, like a Rose. image

(I do hope so though.)

imageimage
  • Options
    But did he bet on his team?? image
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Rob Neyer on ESPN.com had an article about this a few weeks ago, and I think he's right on the money. The case against Rose was always extremely shaky, but if he does admit to betting, then that'll pretty much wash him up. It'll be the second miscarriage of justice in this case. First, he was banned even though the evidence against him was not what a lot of people would call convincing, and he's always denied it. Now, it looks like he might be reinstated even though he admits to the arch sin of betting on the game. Welcome to life in the 21st century, where the important thing is to realize the difference between right and wrong after the crime has been committed, not before.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Yes, he bet on his team. And these people that think its ok since he never bet AGAINST his team need to get a clue. Betting 4 or 5 times a week ON your team is THE SAME as betting AGAINST your team. Loading up your team on the days you have money on them and then letting a pitcher rot on the mound on the days you don't is betting against your team.

Chances are he's STILL not telling the whole truth. Saying now that he "bet the reds but never bet against them" sounds hauntingly familiar to "I bet football but never baseball".

I can't stand Rose and what he's done to baseball but now I actually feel sorry for him because its apparent that he's learned NOTHING from thes past 14 years. He shows little remorse and I truly believe that if he had it all to do over again, he'd do exactly the same thing.

Very sad.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't stand Rose and what he's done to baseball. >>

that is ok.
    "word is" that in his book
    he explains why he can't stand you either.
    imageimage
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    HOW HAS PETE DISGRACED THE GAME?

I would really like to hear another answer besides gambling - which did not harm anything.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>HOW HAS PETE DISGRACED THE GAME?

I would really like to hear another answer besides gambling - which did not harm anything. >>

Unbelieveable. Each and every time he bet on the Reds, he sold out and compromised the game that he professes to love so much. Didn't harm anything. Please.
  • Options
    Rose was an amazing player but betting on your own sport (I could understand him betting on any other one) is just so wrong. Then going all those years saying he didn't.....the lies just keep on flowing. As a player this guy should have been in the hall of fame right away but man....betting on the game.....I still say he doesn't deserve to be in there.
    CB4
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Baseball has been disgracing itself for years.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>Baseball has been disgracing itself for years. >>

Baseball has its share of problems, no doubt. So by all means, lets make it worse by letting "Exhibit A" back into the game.
  • Options
    1420sports

Rose disgraced the game by gambling. Unlike drug use or racism or any other vice, gambling speaks directly to the integrity of the game. It is the only line in the game that one cannot cross. Pete crossed it with impugnity and with no respect for the game's integrity. And without integrity it might as well be professional wrestling.
    Always looking for T59 Flags.