Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just Back PCGS Grade - What would you grade?

Just came back from PCGS along with 3 others..........your opinions.......what grade would you give it?

1829/7 O-101

Thanks in advance.image
Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector

Comments

• Options
    By the pics 65, because of the pics 64...Very nice piece!...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    A little hard to tell because the pic is really bright. 58?...62?

• Options
    AU55

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Too bright not to have been dipped at one time, as most have been, but I still like it. Should be MS-63 or 64, if they slabbed it.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Was slabed,sorry about the pick...still working on it and it has not been cleaned. It's not quite that bright! image
    Bill.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and it has not been cleaned. >>

Ever? You must be very, very old if you know that for sure.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    AU55. Cheek appears to show wear.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Picture is much brighter than the coin so it looks to be cleaned in the pick.........................came back AU58......... I think they missed on this one. Other ones were a little lower than I thought but much closer than this one. I really believe it's MS60-62

Break out maybe?

And who would you send it to?
    Bill.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without cheating, Nice looking but I would have graded Au-58. I think PCGS was correct on this coin.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 58 is about right. Good luck getting the P or the N to slab it as MS with that cheek and BLAST WHITE color, that coin has been dipped at least once, and probably more.

here's a dipped AU58:

and here's what a bust half looks like if it hasn't been recently dipped.

note: the 1812 still might have been cleaned before, but if so, it is an old cleaning, as they say. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I also think the coin was graded properly. Their does appear to be some wear on Liberty's cheek.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course there is wear (rub/friction) on Liberty's cheek, but that hasn't kept 90% of the all the bust halves graded up to MS65 from being "uncirculated." The pieces with full luster covering the facial areas tend to be graded MS66 and higher. Nearly all bust halves up to the 65 grade have obvious friction (Lib's cheek, hair curls, bust line, cap & eagle's claws and/or wingtips). Fact of today's grading standard. Good luck finding an original, fully lustered, rub-free bust half with a 95%+ strike. A very tuff coin indeed at any grade level.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Hello,

i would have to say a 62 because of the cheeks and the looks of the pic. i would say that it has been dipped.

Dale Moore III image
    www.wornoutboots@yahoo.com

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 is about right... there is obvious rub on the cheek that prevents an MS grade. Further, based upon the scan, it really looks as if the coin was dipped. If there are no major hairlines, that is probably what saved the coin from a BB. Sorry but those are my thoughts.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    if that's wear on the cheek, AU58 is right ~ if that's toning on the cheek, MS62 would have been right

it looks like wear from here on my mini monitor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file