Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got Some New Coins

I just got back from the Clearwater Coin Show. I met up with Bill Jones at his table. Then I sold a '95 and '97 Proof set to a guy, to make a little money. Walked around and saw a lot of GREAT toned Morgans and Ikes. I spent a half-hour searching through one guys bargain bin, and I picked out a 1980 Washington Proof for 75c and a 1983 Washington Proof for 1.25. I also found a 1909 G Wheatie for 50c... but when I looked closer... I could just barely make out the S mint mark, what a find! It's hard to see it, but it's definately there, confirmed that when I got home and was able to check with magnifier (forgot to bring it to show =(. . .) But anyways, if it's authentic, WOW! Think I should spend the money on getting it authenticated, since the S is so weak? It's only a G, but might be easier to sell if it's slabbed... but then, it might blow the profit margin by getting it slabbed... and of course it could always come back as non-geniune... I also got a 1934 Merc in MS-64FB in an Old Green PCGS holder from Bill Jones, and a 1940-D MS-66 PCGS also arrived today in the mail from an EBay auction I won on Christmas Eve... I'll post pictures as I do them. I tried to get a close-up scan of the S, but the scans didn't show it, and the scan is really dark, though the coin has a heavy brown toning. Maybe one of you guys that'll be at FUN will be able to help me, I'll make sure to bring it. BTW, I played around with the picture of the Wheatie a bit, to make it a bit lighter and easier to view. It's really a bit darker. And the Merc shows darkness at 12 o'clock that is non-existant, just one of those things I'm working on with scanning slabs...

-George
42/92

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Grooovy, you did well.....

Nice Merc and the penny was 50 cents well spent....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Nice pick on the '09 ... instead of spending money on slabbing it, I'd use the money for more coins.image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great get!!
  • Options
    Do you think it would sell though, with the S being so faint? You can barely make it out with the naked eye (That's how I saw it) but under a 5x it's fairly more visible... do you think the grading services would correctly call it an 09-S, though? I know it's hard to tell with the pictures and all... but best guess' plz... Proof Quarter Pics coming in a couple minutes...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    75c in the Bargain Bin, any idea on grade? I think it is definately a Cameo, maybe DCAM, but I don't really know much about such. The devices are completely frosted though and all the fields are very nice mirrors. The red spot on the eagles neck is just a piece of string or something, I've already pulled it out of the 2x2 to confirm this... '83 Proof Quarter coming up
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JrGMan2004: I always enjoy sifting through a well-stocked bargain bin. I almost always discover some buried treasure there. Same thing for a box of slabbed MS-63/64 Morgans all at one price. I like to pick out the tougher "nearly PL's" that just didn't quite pass the grading service's scrutiny for PL.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    1983 Proof Quarter for $1.25... Grade? Cam? DCam?

-George
    42/92
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Hi JrGMan
    I am one of the Sr G-Men....(Gandyjai and GRANDAM)image
    We are both Ike Guys.
    GREAT JOB in the Bargin Bin!

I spent the whole day at the Clearwater show myself. I had a BLASTimage
    My best find of the day was a 71-S Peg-Leg MS Ike (NOT Proof)
    This was my FIRST one found after a few years of searching......and right after I had given up on finding one
    and shelled out over $200 for one just last month.image

Again, GREAT JOB!image

Gandyjai

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file