Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the Grade...Peace Dollar

A recent purchase. This is the dealer's photo. I wish it were clearer. I can't take coin photos to save my life, at least not yetimage I'm wondering if I could get a higher grade at PCGS, it's really nice looking.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whoa! nice coin! Looks 65 from here, so I'll guess it's in an MS64 slab. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    looks very nice i would have gave it a 65
    Dale Moore III image
    www.wornoutboots@yahoo.com

• Options
    This looks like a nice peace, well struck, clean fields. Minimum MS65/MS64 from what I can see .I do see some possibile minor hairlines or scratches underneath the Y in liberty and above the year. I have some messed up looking peace dollars in NGC holders that have MS64 grades, so PCGS MS64 really means something good.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Decent strike. Nice coin. I don't know if it will go 65, but that would be my vote.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>I do see some possibile minor hairlines or scratches >>

Die polish lines
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Die polish lines >>

Where are the polish lines? Are there lines between the S and O on the reverse?

It might be one of the first off the dies. The strike is real nice and not mushy at all.

Michael
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    What Baley said.

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    A nice 63. Looks like it was probably dipped at one time and long enough to impair the luster some.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    XpipedreamR
    From my limited experience with this series,I'd say MS64 with a shot at MS65.The 1921 was a high relief coin.They will expect more when grading.IMHO
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like it was probably dipped at one time and long enough to impair the luster some. >>

How dare youimage

Yes, the picture does look rather flat. This baby's got cartwheel to spareimage
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XpipedreamR: I'll go MS-64 I've always thought that the 1921 Peace Dollar was a very underrated coin with full strike and good mint luster.

This one seems to have above average strike and the luster is probably better than the photo indicates.

Congrats on the very nice acquisition!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    I'll say 65, unless those scratches in the field are just that, scratches! Luster looks okay to me.
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I would also agree 64/65 area.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    so what the heck is it graded, and by whom? Consensus says 64 shot 65.

• Options
    I really need to get a decent camera and lean to take coin pics. This is probably my favorite coin, but the photo looks rather blah. Every time I think I'm going to get a new camera, though, I end up with another coinimage

It's NGC 65, and solid at that, I think. It's about the nicest 65 graded 21 that I've seen, NGC or PCGS. I can't see it not crossing at PCGS 65. Ive been looking at auction photos of PCGS 66's, and I can't see where they're really any better.

I've been looking at it a lot over the past two days, and maybe 65 is the right grade for it. I don't know.

I'm happy with it as is. I may try to cross it over if I get bored, but it's not high on my list of priorities right now.

• Options
    Well, that's a heck of a nice coin, and if it's NGC65, then I'd be very happy. Yes, it would probably cross (eventually, and for the right (meaning connected) submitter.

i think most of us (myself included) were on the conservative side for two reasons: one, we don't want to look like we're Liberal graders, because we know the top services aren't, and two: the jump from 64 to 65, pricewise, is HUGE!

that said, very VERY nice coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file