Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A 2000 Pattern Dollar? Interesting to say the least.

Interesting token/coin/pattern. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I'm sure the pattern gurus can explain.

2000 Dollar Pattern

Michael

Comments

• Options
    What the Sacajewia should have been.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Amazing how this would've made a much more appealing coin than the Sac!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More info at smalldollars.com!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Amazing how this would've made a much more appealing coin than the Sac! >>

Yeah, but it wouldn't have fulfilled their most important criteria; pandering to the PC crowd.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    This was a design concept created by the Ron Landis and his partner at the Gallery Mint Museum. these were passed around to Congressmen during hearings on Capital Hill on the proposed new small golden dollar. these were used to show what the coin might look like (and to try and get a movement back to an alagorical design.). When sentiment seemed to be leaning toward the possiblity of using a Statue of Liberty design GMM also produced a pattern with that theme as well. Collectors that saw them liked them so well and GMM got so many requests for the exhibit pieces that they produced a limited number of pieces for sale to collectors. While the final design was still open (before it was decreed that the dollar would have to depict "An allogorical image of Liberty as personified by Sacagawea and other native american women" design proposals were being judged, the reverse of this pattern actually made it to the final selection round.

Another interesting thing about this pattern is that although the profile of the bust is the result of a punch, the hair, lettering and the eagle on the reverse are all the result of hand engraving of the design directly into the die. It is a truly lovely design, especially the obverse.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an example of a modern piece of exonumia (that's what I consider it to be) that actually has a following. This piece will probably bring a fair amount by the time the auction ends. The Statue of Liberty "pattern" is also popular.

What other modern exonumia items can you think of that actually might have some collector interest if they were better known? I can think of several:

The 1984 dated Squared Quarter. (Struck in .25 and .50 Troy Oz. Silver, actually struck in 1982)
    The 1998 Patrick Mint California Gold Sesquicentennial Silver Medal with a tiny gold nugget imbedded in it. (1848 struck).
    The 2002 Full Step Nickel Club "pattern" 1938 Jefferson Nickels using the original Schlag designs. I believe all of these were slabbed by SEGS. They were struck in silver in brilliant proof and Unc. finishes.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2002 Full Step Nickel Club "pattern" 1938 Jefferson Nickels using the original Schlag designs. I believe all of these were slabbed by SEGS. They were struck in silver in brilliant proof and Unc. finishes. >>

Total production of 1938 pairs and, yes, they were all slabbed by SEGS.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is an example of a modern piece of exonumia (that's what I consider it to be) that actually has a following. This piece will probably bring a fair amount by the time the auction ends. The Statue of Liberty "pattern" is also popular.

What other modern exonumia items can you think of that actually might have some collector interest if they were better known? I can think of several:

The 1984 dated Squared Quarter. (Struck in .25 and .50 Troy Oz. Silver, actually struck in 1982)
    The 1998 Patrick Mint California Gold Sesquicentennial Silver Medal with a tiny gold nugget imbedded in it. (1848 struck).
    The 2002 Full Step Nickel Club "pattern" 1938 Jefferson Nickels using the original Schlag designs. I believe all of these were slabbed by SEGS. They were struck in silver in brilliant proof and Unc. finishes. >>

There was a really neat 1985? Washington quarter made by a Mid Western seed grower. The obverse
    was an extremely good likeness of the Washington and the reverse was an ad for the grower. These
    were sent out to thousands of farmers mostly in the Dakotas, Minnesota, and Iowa before the Secret
    Service deemed them unacceptable. At the time they claimed some were found in circulation so they
    forced the seed company to recall them. They claimed to get them all back except for around 1,000 ex-
    amples and many of these were believed to have been destroyed.

There are some other interesting pieces of exonumia from the era.

Curiously until about 1995 or so virtually all stock pictures used by publishers were of silver coins and others
    dated prior to 1965.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file