Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is This A Shill Bidder?

Here's the link. S/he registered January 1, 2003 -- and in one year, has bid on a whopping 5,733 auctions, or more than 15 per day, every single day, throughout the year. (There are so many bids the link will take a minute to open up.) Not a single item for sale, ever.

Was looking at picking up some coins by seller jet900, and this bidder is in almost every single one of them. And has repeatedly bid in a number of the same sellers' auctions time after time.

Let me know what you think and what, if anything, should be done.

Edited for math revison:

As Mintstate points out below, all those bids are from the last MONTH! 5,733 auction bids in about 30 days, or approximately 190 bids per day. WTF. image
Realtime National Debt Clock:

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Might be or might not be. If the auction you were going to bid on is more than you wanted to pay then skip it.
  • Options
    I'd almost bet not a shill bidder. Everything the person has bid on or won is extremely low priced items. Looks to be a bargain hunter more than anything....Ken
  • Options
    MintstateMintstate Posts: 254 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's the link. S/he registered January 1, 2003 -- and in one year, has bid on a whopping 5,733 auctions, or more than 15 per day, every single day, throughout the year. >>

You will need to redo the math. Those are only the bids made in the last 30 days. image
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    That bidder has bid on a ton of modern stuff, from a bunch of different sellers. Unless he/she is a shill bidder for hire, I kind of doubt that this is a shill bidder. You never know I guess, but there's an awful lot of bidding going on for seller's other than jet900 from this user.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    Also, the bidder has 2 negatives. I will admit, that is allot of transactions in only one year. Maybe the person is retired and wants to invest in coins?

And, YES, what BigD5 said is correct. Those bids are only for the last 30 days.

After reviewing his recent bids, it appears he is always bidding with certain sellers. I counted more than 8 of them who he has several bids with. So, if he is a shill bidder, then he is shilling for more than 8 sellers. image

My guess is NO. This is not a shill bidder and you should feel comfortable bidding on whatever auction you wanted. imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    my opinion:

someone with alot of cash to waste

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Holy sweet Jesus you are right -- 5,733 auction bids in the last MONTH, or about 190 bids per day! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I appreciate the opinions this is not a shill bidder. But I am highly suspicous of all those bids, especially since a fair majority of them are with the same 8 sellers. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I think there's more to this. Creating multiple user IDs to conceal shills is not unheard of. Have you ever made 6,000 auction bids in a month? In a year!?

FYI: I recall in the Ebay artwork frauds the conspirators established scores of screen names to shill bid in thousands of auctions. Indictment.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I did not bother checking bid history -

are they low balling many items in hoping to get an occasional steal?

if they are just bidding on 8 sellers - is it possible those sellers may be less than 8 individuals (multiple selling accounts from 1 or more sellers)?

if you bid enough - you can ocassionally get below melt image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my bet is that the person is bidding on as much as possible at low price....if bidder wins at low price great and if it goes higher and losses ...really nothing lost....sounds like a tough way to make a buck....but it is possible...
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file