Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1989 Upper Deck grading advice needed

Hey there card collecting connoisseurs,

I was going through my assortment of 1989 Upper Deck Griffey rookies and saw that one of them had a small puncture mark on the hologram. The card and hologram are intact, its just that a piece the size of a pin head is missing on the hologram.
With everything else on the card being superb, can this card grade a PSA9, or will it be moved down to PSA 8? What do you guys think based on past experiences with graders and 1989 Upper Deck.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    pin hole is going to get a 1 or 2 isn't it? I would not send it in.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Since the card doesn't have a pin hole, just the hologram, I would say a perfect card would knock down to a 6 or 7.
    And I agree, do not submit it. Griffey 8's & 9's are cold as ice right now, would hate to think what a lower card would warrant...jay
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    during BOTH of there heydays of 1999...i saw a BGS 1.0 89 griffey sell for 58 dollars on ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loth
  • Options
    Dang, time flys. It seems not long ago the Griffey and Mac Rookies were smok'in hot! Was browsing through EBay and those suckers are dirt cheap now! I guess that's what not collecting for a couple of years gets me.

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    That much of a knock off. Its just a piece of fleck missing on the hologram and the fleck is the size of a pin tip. No hole or puncture. I thought it would have the same bearing as a print dot.

A PSA 9 would be good, but I am not going to grade it if its going to be a PSA 8 or PSA 7. Too bad I don't have a scan to show.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    I've seen one's in 9 holders with pretty beat up holograms on them, dented, small pieces missing. I think a small pin head part missing would have very little effect on grade. Plenty have points on angles missing....................
  • Options
    I just checked the 2 Griffey 9's I got. One has a perfect hologram and the other has a very, very slight tip of it missing (very slight). I'm not sure this card would get slammed if graded, but a scan would be good. It's also going to depend who is sitting at the grading table at the time.
    Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    NHL and Goudy,

Thanks for the input. So, the card I have could very well be a PSA 9. I personally would not buy a PSA 9 if the hologram were not perfect---just my preference. This is something to watch out for when buying any graded 89 Upper Deck. Check the centering on the scan available and then ask the seller for a scan on the back (do not tell him why, he may scan another card since serial numbers are not printed on the back).

Not all 9's are alike. I got to check to see the 10 Sheffields I have in PSA 9 holders....