Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade opinion on Seaated Quarter please

What is your grade opinion on this seated quarter?

tia

Court

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to tell from the picture. It looks like a nice slider to me. 55, maybe 58?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real pretty coin! Nice strike, good luster, surfaces a little rought and maybe some light hairlines, above average toning attractiveness and eye appeal. I'd jump on it as an AU58, and might even like it as high as MS62. Would need to see it and turn it in the light.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    MS61
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Obv fields have some odd lines that are either hits and maybe a fine scratch or a old cleaning.
    Hard to tell for sure from the picture.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    AU58
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options

Need to work on photo and lighting technique a bit. Coin is alot brighter in hand.

It is currently in an ANACS MS62 holder. Recently returned from PCGS as DNC@MS62 min.

Local dealer says I should crack out and try again.

• Options
    I usually just use cross at any grade. Its still the same coin and I like the pcgs holder best but if the dollar value is more important then cross at same grade only is best.
  • Options
    Placid,

When you use "cross at any grade" do the graders see the coin in or out of the holder?

• Options

<< <i>Need to work on photo and lighting technique a bit. Coin is alot brighter in hand.

It is currently in an ANACS MS62 holder. Recently returned from PCGS as DNC@MS62 min.

Local dealer says I should crack out and try again. >>

Does PCGS say why something does not cross?
  • Options
    Clw54,

PCGS is going to add a note why a coin did not cross - but when I sent this one in they had suspended that part of the service.

I prefer the PCGS holder for both uniformity (95% of my holdered coins are PCGS) and marketability when upgrade and/or liquidation time comes

• Options

<< <i>Placid,

When you use "cross at any grade" do the graders see the coin in or out of the holder? >>

In. I don't think it makes much difference I have had upgrades,downgrades and same grades using the crossover service.
    At least no more than if you send the same coin raw 5 times you also might get a different grade.
    When I first started using pcgs after a long break I cracked a shield nickel graded 62 and it came back au58. Cracked it again and it came back 62.
  • Options

<< <i>Clw54,

PCGS is going to add a note why a coin did not cross - but when I sent this one in they had suspended that part of the service.

I prefer the PCGS holder for both uniformity (95% of my holdered coins are PCGS) and marketability when upgrade and/or liquidation time comes >>

Thanks, Mrpawn. It's nice to know what they would have graded it.
  • Options
    Yes it kind of sucks to spend the grading fee and not learn anything.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have guessed Ms-62 at NGC looking at your photo's with a possible half point to point reduction at PCGS.

Since it didnt cross at min 62, PCGS may have wanted to only go 61, but by sending it in raw this time, you will eliminate any bias, and may draw the 62 this time around. Pending they didnt DNC it becuase of cleaning or something else that the photo is not portraying?

• Options
    Thanks to all

I really value the input/info available here

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    very nice coin. I think 62 is the best it will get with the hairlines. I would just leave it in the ANACS holder. mike
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    I think 62 is a good grade on this one.
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options

<< <i>Need to work on photo and lighting technique a bit. Coin is alot brighter in hand.

Local dealer says I should crack out and try again. >>

No.
    Don't waste any more money on it. Leave it in the ANACS slab.

Ray

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file