Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well, I did it....oh boy!

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've finally succombed to the tugging in the back of my mind. I have begun a set of Proof Kennedy Halves! I must admit that I do feel better now that I have embraced these wonderfull coins!

imageimageimageimageimage

Thanks to Russ and ksteelheader for subliminally imprinting my brain with the awesome images of Kennedy Halves they both have! image

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor guy...
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I think that when people think of the Kennedy Half series, they don't picture a set of beautiful coins, which is a shame because when you collect nice, high quality cameo'd pieces the set becomes quite an attractive one. I think Russ will back me up on that one. I will probably never collect them though. IMO, they shouldn't have cut short the Franklin series (one of my favorite series) to start up the Kennedies.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    make sure they're at least toned...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Have fun with the Kennedy set. I've got 50 or 60 pieces, all 1964 and 1964 D, was looking through them last week and discovered a nice toned one.
  • Options
    Good move!!!!....image....Ken
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least you'll have no problem finding them! Kennedy halves are VERY common! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun! I just snagged a PCGS 66 JFK with awesome obverse toning and blast rev. All for $15.
  • Options

<< <i>I've finally succombed to the tugging in the back of my mind. I have begun a set of Proof Kennedy Halves! I must admit that I do feel better now that I have embraced these wonderfull coins!

imageimageimageimageimage

Thanks to Russ and ksteelheader for subliminally imprinting my brain with the awesome images of Kennedy Halves they both have! image >>

IMO - I think they are one of the ugliest coins we have ever made. And it was only made because of political reasons, which always causes problems with our coinage. In short, I will never collect this coin with all of the other great coins out there. But, hey, have fun!! To each his own!! The eye of the beholder!!
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    I like the ones with the old bald (on top, long hair in back) guy better.
    DSW
  • Options
    Welcome to the Kennedy club have fun. image
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have begun a set of Proof Kennedy Halves! I >>

you go boy!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they are one of the ugliest coins we have ever made. And it was only made because of political reasons, which always causes problems with our coinage. >>

Yeah, sort of like the Morgan Dollar.

Cladiator,

Clearly you are a collector of good breeding and spohisticated taste.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    EVERY coin ever minted in the U. S. was due to political concerns....Ken
  • Options
    I've finally succombed to the tugging in the back of my mind. I have begun a set of Proof Kennedy Halves! I must admit that I do feel better now that I have embraced these wonderfull coins

SOOOO SAD!...image For some reason "Taps" entered my mind...image Good luck with your endeavour
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>I've finally succombed to the tugging in the back of my mind. I have begun a set of Proof Kennedy Halves! I must admit that I do feel better now that I have embraced these wonderfull coins! >>

I'm not familiar with this coin. What does it look like?
  • Options
    Ever notice that what is gorgious to you is dog-ugly to someone else ?
    If Kennedys speak to you, go for it ! and good luck.
  • Options
    did I mention I have a bunch of Kennedy proofs for sale?

not sure if I mentioned it or not. Would someone let me know if I mentioned this?

thanks!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    "EVERY coin ever minted in the U. S. was due to political concerns..."

Good point!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    No, Frank, you hadn't! If anyone is interested, he has some proofs for sale....Ken
  • Options

<< <i>No, Frank, you hadn't! If anyone is interested, he has some proofs for sale....Ken >>

Ken:

you promotional consideration is appreciated image
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    you promotional consideration is appreciated ....Think nothing of it! I bought from you before and had great coins to show for it. Keep up the good work....Ken
  • Options

<< <i>EVERY coin ever minted in the U. S. was due to political concerns....Ken >>

Wrong.
    Basic commerce is not driven by political means. It is driven by a need in society to have everday currency and coins for common purchase and trade. Slapping a President on a coin within a year after his assasination is what many would consider a "political" reason for that design of that particular coin. The fact that we have coins and curreny is not "political."
    Big difference.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think they are one of the ugliest coins we have ever made. And it was only made because of political reasons, which always causes problems with our coinage. >>

Yeah, sort of like the Morgan Dollar. >>

Now that is funny. The most popular and most collected coin in U.S. history (The Morgan Dollar) is ugly?
    There must be a whole lot of people out there who have no idea what beauty is I guess.
    Well, considering the market demand for Morgans, I'll keep collecting those ugly dollars, and keep watching them rise in price.
  • Options

<< <i>Wrong.
    Basic commerce is not driven by political means. >>

Wrong.

Basic commerce is not driven by politics, but coin design is and always has been. The introduction of the Morgan Dollar was one of the most politically driven events in the history of the US Mint. The coin didn't even circulate in most areas of the country. Nobody wanted it, but for the silver mining interests and the politicians whose pockets they lined.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>The most popular and most collected coin in U.S. history (The Morgan Dollar) is ugly? >>

If you think a coin has to be attractive to be popular among collectors, explain the Lincoln Cent. image

Unless they're cameo'd or nicely toned, Morgans are boring as hell and reek ugly.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wrong.
    Basic commerce is not driven by political means. >>

Wrong.

Basic commerce is not driven by politics, but coin design is and always has been. The introduction of the Morgan Dollar was one of the most politically driven events in the history of the US Mint. The coin didn't even circulate in most areas of the country. Nobody wanted it, but for the silver mining interests and the politicians whose pockets they lined.

Russ, NCNE >>

Wrong again. The Morgan may have had political problems attached to it, like many coins, but not ALL U.S. coins have had political problems and turmoil determine the design. I acknowledged up front that there are political problems that affect our coin designs. But now you are trying to convince everyone that it happens for every single design ever made. You are wrong. If you don't believe me go get a book about it from the ANA or ask Q. David Bowers.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The most popular and most collected coin in U.S. history (The Morgan Dollar) is ugly? >>

If you think a coin has to be attractive to be popular among collectors, explain the Lincoln Cent. image

Unless they're cameo'd or nicely toned, Morgans are boring as hell and reek ugly.

Russ, NCNE >>

A matter of opinion. The Lincoln cent is a nice looking coin. Good artwork and very simple, not cluttered looking like some designs have been. The fact that the cent is useless is a whole different arguement. The cent as a coin design is quite nice, and honors arguably our greatest President ever.

Like what you want. But it is all in the eye of the beholder.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    who said the Kennedy half has been the ugliest US coin ever issued?

My vote is for the 1995 Special Olympics World Games with Eunice Kennedy Shriver
    - I thought the US had some rule about only having dead people on coins (well she might look dead)

Cladiator - it will definitely be easier finding these than Peace dollars
    there were over a half a billion minted of the 'bicentennial' design of 1976 alone
  • Options

<< <i>who said the Kennedy half has been the ugliest US coin ever issued? >>

I say they messed up ike so bad I could cry.
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24
  • Options
    Don't collect Kennedys, but I don't think there's anything wrong with them! Wish there was a place for them in day to day commerce... :-(
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks to Russ and ksteelheader for subliminally imprinting my brain with the awesome images of Kennedy Halves they both have! >>

A sad case of brainwashing if there ever was one! image
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "Wrong. Basic commerce is not driven by politics, but coin design is and always has been. The introduction of the Morgan Dollar was one of the most politically driven events in the history of the US Mint. The coin didn't even circulate in most areas of the country. Nobody wanted it, but for the silver mining interests and the politicians whose pockets they lined.

Russ, NCNE"

Russ, you fell off-topic here, sure, the SILVER DOLLAR was politically motivated, but, the DESIGN (which is the topic of this thread) was not politically motivated as the Kennedy design was.

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Russ, you fell off-topic here, sure, the SILVER DOLLAR was politically motivated, but, the DESIGN (which is the topic of this thread) was not politically motivated as the Kennedy design was. >>

No, mintluster is the one who fell off topic. I simply responded. The topic of this thread is not the design of the Kennedy, or any other coin. The topic is Cladiator deciding to collect them.

Anybody who thinks coin design isn't political is kidding themselves. There's political wrangling in every design decision. Most were/are produced, not on merit or artistic appeal, but rather on how well-connected the engraver/designer was, who was in their corner supporting the design, money, power or a combination of all of them.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file