Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked up this Large cent today. Good ole LIHERTY!!

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Nice...very nice.
  • Options
    How would you grade it?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That might hit VF, I think
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Looks nice John. I'm longing for something silver that old.
  • Options
    Looks very nice. I just picked up one today as well -- not nearly as nice as yours, but it'll fill a whole in my Dansco until I find one better that I like. These are so hard to find with nice plancets and without porosity.

I think yours is a nice VF while mine might make it to a G. Mine's not bad for $40!

Thanks for sharing,
    Michael
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John,

I hope that its the photo, something doesnt look right about that coin to me. Surfaces dont seem to match the rim definition, almost looks like a cast. I hope I am wrong, Maybe some of the Early copper guys can comment like Rittenhouse
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I thought your coin also looked like a cast so I looked it up. It looks like a Sheldon 104 to me. Breen has it listed as 1698. Late strikes were with heavily rusted dies according to Breen.

John

Sorry, I didn't realize you had already identified the coin until I returned to the board. Saw the first part of your title 'Picked up a large cent today' and got excited and didn't read the rest of the title.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    He didn't compleately identify it. Yes it is a LIHERTY but that obverse is on two different varieties. And John you are right it is the more common S-104. Still it is a super coin. I wish I could see what it really looked like as the image is fuzzy but that is from the photography. I'm impressed because the S-103 and 104 do not normally come nice and most of them are in low grades. This coin may just miss the bottom end of the condition census and may quite probably be included in Noyes' extended CC. The 17th finest known specimen of this variety is a Scudzy VG-10! (CC ends with a VF-20 then a 15, two 12 coins three 10's, and then the Scudzy 10.)

Fratlaw, your S-174 is also a nice coin and I think it is a good buy at $40. (Let me know if you upgrade.)
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I should have put that it was a S-104.

I also have my doubts about the coin. I bought it on condition that it slabs at NGC...

I dont know early copper that well at all. I do know that a nice planchet like that is sought after however so I bought the coin.

I bought it from an old time collector. He graded the coin as a fine 15 as did the person he purchased it from in 1990, a Mr. Thomas Reynolds, EAC 222. Anybody know him?

I told him the first time I saw it I thought it was a VF, but hey, I wont argue too much... image.

John
  • Options
    BTW Frattlaw,

That is a very nice get for 40$... How can you go wrong?

John
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Tom Reynolds is a well known and well respected copper dealer in the EAC community. If he called it a F-15 then so would most other EACers (Bill Noyes would probably call it a 12 coin.). If NGC slabs it they would probably call it a 20. As a F-15 it would be considered to be an important coin (Tied for 11th finest known.) and either is or should be in the Noyes photo census
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, Fine+ minimum, likely VF in anyone's holder. Surfaces pretty nice, probably not as glossy in natural light as they appear in the picture, you have to bounce a lot of light off of copper in order to image the detail, of which this coin has plenty, look at that hair, eye, ear, rounded cheek! Nice coin!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file