Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it real or is AT...

I'm really having a hard time deciding on this one. Opinions anyone?

Real or AT
US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    You're right. It's a tough choice by photo. I'm not familiar with what mint set toning should look like on a 1950 set. My instinct tells me 70% likely to be market acceptible.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like album toning to me... I'd say real
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...or maybe mint set
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Hard as hell to tell. This is one of the toughest examples to determine whether its AT or not, due to multiple patterns available vis. a vis. mint set toning, I would say it should be a function of your aesthetics, I personally don't like it.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I think the toning is natural and the image is making it look more colorful than it would be in hand.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real for sure and probably from a Mint set. I have a couple that look very much like this coin especially on the reverse.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    first off ..... no mint sets were made in 1950 so scratch that idea....

this looks like album toning to me.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I change that to Mint Set Type Tone .....image

imageimageimage

I should stick with the Mercs.

more....imageimageimage
  • Options
    That folks, is real toning all day long. My guess is that it is album toning, or that this coin was put into a mintset holder maybe back in the 60's or 70's and has resided there ever since. Remember that there weren't any mint sets made in 1950.
  • Options
    btw the seller is our own Baley....

come to think of it, Baley you sure do have alot of these coins you been selling for awhile now...

I'm two out of three with your coins... one bodybag for questionable color. i have another one that got sent today....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Without reading any response...my gut tells me AT. Its the color creeping up from the fields onto the lettering. This should not happen with natural air transfer toning.

IMO
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    Will it go 66? He's got some nice Rosies also that are definitely real. Oh and thanks Lucy for the 52P. It's a beauty.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the toning is natural and the image is making it look more colorful than it would be in hand.

I agree with Russ
    Michael
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I can't say it's AT, as I've seen NT like that. I'd buy it as NT.
  • Options
    Even though one of the washies I bought from Baley got bagg'd, that coin is very pretty.... With coins that have color, it can be a crap shoot sometimes......

All my purchases from this cat have been outstanding... He gives killer descriptions.......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Natural envelope or paper toning.

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, this is AT...done in an envelope using sulpher and vaseline...image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I don't know the history of this coin prior to a year or so ago, nor do I presume to guess how it was "done" (if it was)... It looks to me like album or envelope toning, but the coin must speak for itself, the photos are in fact accurate, and the auction starts at face value, so the potential bidders can decide how much they think it's worth. (I will say that I bought the coin off of eBay, that I paid more than the current high bid, and if it doesn't go any higher, will take a loss on it. c'est la vie)

It was for the set of toned silver Washingtons I'm working on, and I have since upgraded to this piece, which I like a whole lot better:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Well...I go with rainbowroosie on this one. AT, but nicely doctored for sure.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    AT as has been indicated by RainbowRoosie. image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    The colors look natural, but the eveness of the colors over the entire surface is not natural.

Even though it's artificially toned, I suspect that it will prove to be market acceptable.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file