Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade The '51-S Franklin............

This was in a complete set of raw franklins that I purchased.

ANA Member R-213302

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64+ and shot FBL! nice coin, needs a dip to make the lusterous 65 level!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Nice coin. To me it looks like it is a MS-65 with a shot at MS-66. From the pics the bell lines look full so I would have to say the coin would grade at least MS-65 FBL. Of course my answer is probably off so I will see what everyone else says. It is a very nice coin though.image
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Look at the Pass and stow on this baby and the strong lettering. This is a very solid strike, borderlined hammered coin! I'm sure those bell lines are solid....

Fields appear to be very hit free.....

Cat, that strike puts this in GEM staus of atleast a five holder.......

I do see something goin on by Frankies eye and his cheek, and maybe something in the bell area....

However, this one could sneek into a six holder..... I've seen worse.....

making a judgement from the image.... I cannot for the life of me see why this wouldn't make a ms65 coin.........

you have a winner here...... submitt it and tell em its HepKitty approved on the submission form!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    for the record I like Baley but I've seen in more then one post he sez to dip the coin to get it into a five holder.....

I'll share my experience in this matter, if the coin is dull and hazy, Baley is right, however on another thread he suggest a mint set coin to be dipped, I'll 100% disagree with him on that one......

PCGs does not like hazy coins, they do like luster, with that said, they love mint set toning with strong luster underneath..
    I know, I have scored many many times with them......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Hey, I was on the same page with Lucy. (Grinning from ear to ear) At least I have learned something while I have been here.image
  • Options
    Lucy,

You are correct. There is a small tic by Frankies eye and on the bell. There is also a bit of chatter at the top middle/right of the bell.
    This on is going to make the trip to PCGS with the mint set '53 image

I will be happy with a MS65 but a '66 would be great.

Jim
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    MMMmmmm......... Mint Set Toning.........

ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    here is my former 51s ms66fbl stunner... This one has Crazy colors and is a perfect example of not dipping a mint set toned coin...
    The strike on your coin maybe a hair better then this one, this one has a good pass and stow also, it just didnt capture in these
    images...... This coin has super strong luster underneath the pretty toning....

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with solid MS-65 with a decent shot at 66 depending on how distracting the chatter under Franklin's eye really appears with the coin in hand.

And both '53 are beautiful image.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a high end 65 FBL, but not enough POP for a 66.

Liked Lucy's coin better.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    65, looks FBLimage
  • Options
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    Grooovy!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    64 FBLimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Frank???
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    Good morning Jim - I concur with the crowd - MS65/66 with FBL depending on how much disturbance there is on the bell lines. The strike is very good, which is seen on 51S' now and again. Looks like you have a very good coin there young man! image
  • Options
    MS65 with a chance at 66. Very clean - the type I'm always looking for! image
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file