Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions please on this 1841 Seated Half

I just purchased this for my type set and it's gorgeous. Even has a nice die crack on the upper left of the obverse. My only concern are the two faint scratches on the obverse that run parallel near the bottom of the 10th star to the 12th star. They can be seen in the images but I didn't even notice them until I had the coin in hand. They look like staple scratches. What's your opinion as to the grade and coloring? Would PCGS grade this with the scratches?

Thanks,
Casey

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    A very nice, well-struck half. I would go AU-50 on it. It does not look cleaned to me. Seated coins are ultra coolimage

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    definitely slabbable by the P or the N, at least EF40 if not 45, I don't think it makes 50 despite the outstanding strike.

Nice coin!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin... beautiful color and I would say AU55.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I'm gonna want to see some luster on an AU coin.

edit: and no scratches image

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I don't see anything near the 10-12 star; only a die crack from stars L2-L7 and something @ the top of stars R4 & R5.
    I see an old chemical cleaning that has retoned and a grade of high XF/low AU.
    It's decent looking for a circ & I think it would holder.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling there is lustre on this one and the coin looks much better in person than what is revealed on the scan.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Don't get me wrong...it's a nice coin.

But I'd have a hard time with AU55 when her left arm looks like she's been in a knife fight. I'd call it an EF45 and be willing to pay close to AU50 money for her. On a bad day, ANACS would net grade for the scratches.

Nice coin.
    Go well.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I think it's a safe bet for a holder. XF-45. I agree, ANACS would "net" grade it.
    I've often said, 25% of the ANACS net graded coins would probably find a home in a PCGS slab without a problem. I also agree with PCGS's willingness to holder circulated coins with minor problems consistent with the grade.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I'm with Dog's assessment on this one, although there is no way that coin slabs below au. WAY too much detail to grade lower, and if the luster is the issue, which it would be, then the coin will go au/53.
    That's all assuming the coin is problem free...ie the scratches. I don't see them in the scan. If the coin does indeed have scratches, don't bother spending the submission money on it.
    This coin could conceivably come back from ANACS as au details, net au, notated as "scratched".
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that it would be graded AU-50. I don't think it would be body bagged. Nice looking coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks holderable at PCGS with a min Au-50 and has nice eye-appeal.
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I may submit it down the road, but for now its home in my Dansco.

Casey
  • Options
    well, let's have a look at the page!

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that this is in the XF45-AU53 range. Hard to say w/o seeing it how much luster there is. It has enough detail to be an AU55 but I suspect the luster is fairly weak. Looks close to an AU50.

The marks on the arm are of no consequence, that is unless you hold the coin to MS64 standards. I don't see the mentioned scratches but do see some choppiness on the left obverse rim (a series of light bangs) and a shiny spot of friction in the left upper obverse field. Overall a very presentable coin of a scarcer date. Most of the circ seated coins I see in holders are somewhat cleaned and nicked up. This appears far better than what is usually seen.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Baley, the Dansco is not ready for public display yet. I still have many open spaces waiting for nicely toned circulated examples. Most of my focus to date has been on Barber dimes. Besides, you've set the bar so $#%^#@ high image this is going to take awhile!

Casey
  • Options
    LOL image

Well, if that coin represents the "look" your set is going to have, it's really going to be something! image

congrats, and good luck with your set.. BTW, IMO these coins with "all the detail and a unique appearance" are a great value, when compared to the cost of blast white, gem coins of the same type. Of course, this applies more to the older types like this no motto half, I'm sure your Frankie and JFKs will be Gem image (and probably nicely toned, too)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file