Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rumor concerning the 1963 DCAM 70 Lincoln.

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
Everyone is posting comments about this coin, and what it will re-sale for this time around. Also thier is the latest rumor that Stewart Blay is chasing this piece.

Here is a rumor that I herd today from two people who wish to remain anynomus:

PCGS is attemting to re-purcashing this coin from the FUN auction in order that it can be removed from the open market, and disposed off, because its oviously a blantant grading error on thier part and because there has been to much negitive publicity about the coin?

I was thinking about posting this rumor to Homerun Hall on tuesday for comment??

?????????????????

Comments

• Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    There is another course of action, PCGS could make a few more 70's.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the question should be asked. But, when you do ask it, be sure to include the picture with the question so he can see the coin in question.

If it is fact that PCGS is chasing the coin, then they will probably shell out some hefty bucks for it.
  • Options
    From the current photos, that dog doesn't hunt as a 70DCAM! I wish there was a photo when originally graded! If PCGS wanted it back, they would probably buy it back under the table without any rumors!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Interesting rumors. We'll see what happens.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>be sure to include the picture with the question so he can see the coin in question. >>

Yeah, otherwise he won't know which one it is. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I will bet right here and now that IF PCGS is chasing the coin they will not admit to it publically. If they did then people who don't like PCGS could run the price up to make PCGS pay.
  • Options
    maybe we should bid it up for fun
  • Options

<< <i>maybe we should bid it up for fun >>

Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe we should bid it up for fun >>

Put a ransom on it... we stop bidding when turnaround times are at 25 days or less image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Mr. Dimmmick

This coin is more than my budget will allow me to spend for an insert.I thought I was bidding against Trade Dollar Nut but he has informed me that the coin has also become expensive for him.
    Perhaps if you ask wondercoin he will enlighten you as to who is bidding on this insert.

Stewart
  • Options
    I would think Stewart would have acquired it already if it was truly a DCAM70. Stewart is a true collector of superb copper pieces, not a plastic chaser. I think it is a valid question for David. Maybe it was a mechanical error during the slabbing process? I thought the opinion on this coin was the grade was lower than stated.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt PCGS seriously cares much about this Lincoln. I bet their submissions monthly total doesn't change one iota. PCGS reputation is not made on a single coin no matter how much we talk about it.
    I mean, seriously: is there anyone here that would change their mind on submitting, assuming you are a PCGS submitter to begin with, because of this single misgraded coin?

peacockcoins

• Options
    Hacked the Heritage website and some guy with the user name of HRH is the high bidder with a high maximum bid of $53,500!!!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stewart is a true collector of superb copper pieces, not a plastic chaser. >>

Where the hell did you hear that? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Just trying to start another rumor image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    lets start a forum message board 'syndicate' we all can put in a few bucks (quite a few) and win the coin - and then rotate it amongst ourselves

well me be that would be a good idea for some coins of more value with less cost.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, seriously: is there anyone here that would change their mind on submitting, assuming you are a PCGS submitter to begin with, because of this single misgraded coin?

Yes, but not overnight. Potential "end users" may lose faith in PCGS because of this coin. As a result, demand for PCGS coins will diminish, causing dealers to submit fewer coins. The damage to PCGS won't impact the bottom line overnight, but it sure as sheets will happen in the long run. So I have no doubt that this coin will be removed from the marketplace sooner or later.

(BTW, I'd bet on later.)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I heard the coin popped out of the holder and hit the ground.. supposedly it was spent at a McDonalds in Topeka... but y'all didn't hear it from me cos I aint one to gossip. imageimage
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    And, y'know.. that's a slab that's worth being slabbed! Can they do that? slab a slab??
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

All Right...the cat is out of the bag

The Reserve on the 1963 Proof 70 D Cameo is $38,000

And I will Guarantee it

Stewart
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart,

When I read the rumor on here about you intrested in the piece, I figured that it was false(only a rumor), especially with your eye and taste for Lincolns. I think most agree, that 40,000 is much better spent anywhere other than that coin.

As far as the PCGS rumor, when I first herd it, I was thinking "why would PCGS buy it?" Then after sitting down and thinking about this coin and the negitive publicity it brought to them grading it a DCAM 70, which most everyone disagrees with. Could be a relatively (business expense) cost effective way for them to dispose of it, and end the negitive publicity.

jim dimmick

• Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    The real issue here is not whether it is some kind of numismatic crime that PCGS graded the coin 70DCAM...as others have said, graders make mistakes, and PCGS' reputation will not really be affected by a single coin that much...I wouldn't expect them to eat $40 grand just to save face. There are quite a few 70DCAMs out there (in other denominations and years) that probably aren't worthy of that grade...and many more 69DCAMs, that probably are...such is life.

The real issue that people have is they can't believe any lincoln cent could be worth that much...no matter how it looks. But so be it. I don't have 40 grand to spend on coins, so to me it is unthinkable, but for folks with money...let 'em spend it as they see fit. Everyone is so critical of this coin, the seller, and the bidders....and I don't think many of us are in a position to judge them at all. When your numismatic budget becomes a half million dollars a year or more, then you can be critical.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I heard NGC was bidding on it so they can take it to shows as an example of the competitions slabs image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Monstavet, thank you for pointing out the real issue to all of us. image I could care less what you or anyone else buys or how much you spend for it, but that certainly isn't isn't the real issue to me. There is no question in my mind or dozens of other dealers and collectors that this coin is not a 70. Would this coin have the publicity that is has garnared if some folks weren't willing to pay this kind of money for it, of course not. What this coin illustrates is that there are collectors out there that will pay a high price to purchase a coin to put it into a registry set whether it measures up to the grade or not. In fact at the PCGS Registry luncheon this coin was one of the coins singled out by David Hall in his talk to us in regards to how popular the registry is and how strong the market is. All the while the buzz at FUN was the coin was overgraded. Many of the bobbling head koolaid sippers were nodding in agreement, others just smiled. Anyway it gave me an insight to registry collecting that will forever be imprinted in my mind.

The registry concept has become a marketing gold mine for PCGS and this is the extreme example in my mind of how a well intended idea can be exploited by someone with an endless amount of funds. What's to be proud of here, that you have the money to throw away to be number one? My reaction is that it brings into question the quality of the entire set that it resides in. 12 months later this coin is where is was back on the market. It needs to be removed, plain and simple.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no question in my mind or dozens of other dealers and collectors that this coin is not a 70. Would this coin have the publicity that is has garnared if some folks weren't willing to pay this kind of money for it, of course not.

...........and i find it interesting that the coin gets the attention of even a dozen dealers or collectors!! it would seem that before it hit the auction floor last year nobody knew about it or cared about it. now, one year and two auctions later, it dominates the attention of a few in a most peculiar way.

al h.image

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    keets, that is not entirely true. While it didn't garner the type of discussion this year that it did last year, it certainly was a topic of conversation on this board. In fact it was one the coins I had earmarked to check out when I went to the show last year. Some of the discussion last year centered around whether or not more than 2 bidders were interested in this coin. As it turns out there is.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Spoon...you're a riot, manimage
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    INTERESTING and makes a lot of sense
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    ttt
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    Well John Troy must be smiling all the way to the bank, he took a lot of heat when he paid $39M, now hes going to walk away much healthier!!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes you wonder tho if PCGS actually graded that thing like that or if a disgruntled technician managed to somehow switch inserts. Kinda reminiscent of the problem with fingerprinted coins there awhile back.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file