Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shipping a slab..

Hi, I have a quick question.. What would be the best way to ship a $600 slabbed coin? I want it insured, but Priority Mail with insurance at that rate gets to be a little expensive.. Could I just ship it Registered at $12 I believe, and it would be insured up to $1000 or however much it is insured to?

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    You could get an idea here.

USPS
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Registered is best but you can't register a bubble mailer. A Saf-T-Mailer in a #10 envelope works just fine because it isn't run through any sorting machinery.
    Just skip the Priority Mail and mail it First Class insured in a bubble mailer. Priority Mail is just a waste of $$.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

Registered is by far the safest. Every postal worker that handles the package must sign for it.

At $600, that's about the point where Registered mail becomes less expensive than Priority. The post office has told me that you can't use bubbled mailers for registered packages though.image

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage
  • Options
    I was probably planning on shipping it in a box.. Thanks for the information everyone..
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    $600 insurance runs a little over $7 at USPS. Add either first class (roughly $1 depending on weight) or $3.85 (Priority). Still a good bit cheaper than registered.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    registered take about 5-6 business days to arrive but first class usually take 2-3 days.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I tried a bubble mailer on my first time registered. They just went and got a bigger paper envelope to put the bubble mailer into and all was fine. I had to pay an extra .20 for the new envelope.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I usually wrap the slab in bubble wrap and then put it into a post office priority box (it's a great size) and insure it. Unless the value is enough for me to register it.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was probably planning on shipping it in a box.. Thanks for the information everyone.. >>

The last two PL Morgans you sent me were mailed like Fort Knox! I spend the better part of five minutes slicing and dicing my way through your packaging.
    I'd just go that route. Priority, with insurance and gobs of bubblewrap!

PS: Want wonderful and wholesome CAMEO and PL Morgans? Check out ultradmpldollars offerings the next time he sells. . . He lives up to his name.

peacockcoins

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I send any coin valued at $500.00 or more registered. The peace of mind is easily worth it. Yes, it has to be in a box, but that should not deter you.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can put a slab inside a safe T mailer and put that into a common #10 envelope and send it registered if you want. Registered is $7.50 plus regular postage and because of the better security the insurance is dirt cheap. So you could probly send it registered for about $10. As far as priority any first class mail destined for more than 600 miles away goes by air anyway. First class under the 8 ounce weight limit is just as fast and just as safe as priority. Use the registered and put your mind at ease.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    just make sure you do not use a safe-T mailer and #10 envelope in regular postage

the computer sorters have corners that cause slabs to 'self destruct'

I have always figured around $700 and up, then registered becomes cheaper
    let alone the safest, most secure form of shipping, besides armored truck - which probably is very expensive
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send registered... nab a Priority box from the PO... then cover it in tape (which you pretty much have to do anyway)... then send it first class... I did it image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Registered and insured. Don't fool around for a dollar or two. Its always safer and you get the added benefit of peace of mind.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file