Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bodybags and authentication

clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
Here's a guy auctioning a bodybagged 1909-S VDB as authenticated by PCGS. The problem is that it's not necessarily authenticated. David Hall said that a bodybagged coin could be bagged before the grader checks the authentication. The seller might not even know this.

eBay 1909-S VDB

David Hall's comment

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Report him.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭
    "David Hall said that a bodybagged coin could be bagged before the grader checks the authentication."

I also thought authentication was the first thing checked.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    And besides, the coin is not sealed. Even if authenticated before body bagging, what says the coin in the flip is the coin "authenticated"?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any other grading service would have no problem grading this coin. >>

If that's the case, why not send it off to NGC?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I, too, was under the impression that authentication to priority and that any bodybag would say not genuine first, any other problems second. So if a coin comes back harshly cleaned, it is still genuine.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's genuine, but check the rim damage on the reverse at about 1:00. That is the damage PCGS is referring too, not the piddling obverse rim nick the seller is claiming PCGS busted the coin for.
    Also, probably not, but do those wheat stalks look tooled to you?

peacockcoins

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another comment:
    I doubt the hand written comment on the insert flip is from PCGS. If it was, it states the damage is at the "5:00- 6:00" position. The nick the seller is pointing out is at the 3:00- 4:00 position (obverse).
    I think the seller likely wrote that comment on the paper insert himself and truly PCGS is referring to the wheat stalks (upon closer inspection).
    If that's the case, NO one would holder this without noting the problem ("tooled") and the value decreases substantially.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭
    Just from the image the mint mark looks added, but who knows!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Whichever goes first (though I suspect it's bagged before authenticated), the seller would be much better off with a NCS authenticate holder or ANACS net holder.
  • Options

<< <i>Another comment:
    I doubt the hand written comment on the insert flip is from PCGS. If it was, it states the damage is at the "5:00- 6:00" position. The nick the seller is pointing out is at the 3:00- 4:00 position (obverse). >>

LOL. Its a huge rim ding that goes through both sides.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file