Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sending eBay payments

I always pay for stuff with a money order. Last week I found out that one of my payments never made it to its destination. Now I'm considering sending all my larger payments via Certified or Registered mail. Am I being psycho, or is this reasonable?

Does it even make any sense to use either of these services?

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't you just send another payment, and get a refund for the MO?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last week I found out that one of my payments never made it to its destination. >>

Do you know for certain it didn't make it to the seller? Unlike checks, it's not easy to verify whether or not a money order has been cashed.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    If you get proof of delivery then at least you know if the person is being honest about not getting it.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I have checked, it hasn't been cashed.

I have to wait 30 (a few days from now) days to stop payment, and there's a $5.00 charge. In this case, it's only a $7.00 check. But if it were for a larger amout, I'd be a little uptight.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you used a USPS money order remember that it can't be cancelled and has no expiration date. If you receive a refund on a USPS money order and it later turns out to have been cashed by the original payee they will bill you for the amount of the money order. Some scammers are actually using the "I never received your money order, please send a new one" as a way to score twice on the same scam. Be careful. If the amount is high, make sure the payee has to sign for it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    A tough dilemma.

I always use PayPal when buying an item from Ebay.

I send MO in a bubble mailer with delivery confirmation. This way I know they recieved it.

Joe
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use Paypal...it never gets lost in the mail image
  • Options

<< <i>Use Paypal...it never gets lost in the mail image >>

Yes definately and with direct bank transfer. Seller doesn't get charged the fee then if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fee depends on the type of account that you have not on how the money is transferred.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    For <$10.00 I usually email the seller if a personal check is acceptable to say me fees. I don't care if I have to wait 10 days. I have not had a turn down yet. Due to my feedback most sellers don't even bother to wait

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file