Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toned Peaces

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
Quality probably sucks but looks like there might be some nice natural toning going on in there. If someone on this forum wins these I'd love to hear what they look like.

Click here for the auciton

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    what can you determine about the coins from a pic like that?

little to zip.

all from the 20s? that says next to nothing to me.

seller should have specific dates and mint marks for the coins as well as pics of WHOLE coins.

without more detail of the coins i,d have to assume the coins are just junk silver with most ,if not all,
    dates in 1922 and 1923.

But one could hope to `get lucky` and cherry a VAM out of it all if the seller really `isnt a coin guy`.

i,d pass on this one myself.
  • Options
    If you're that interested in them, ask the seller a question ask him what dates they are. If there's a 1928, well then you buy them. I don't really like the starting bid of $150 though, that tells me he has some thought as to their value.
  • Options
    Look at the seller's other auctions. He has a bunch of other coins for sale and the same description "Drawer cleaned out...."
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Peaces generally come with an UGLY toning if any at all. I took a chance and bought one that I thought may look nice - it's FUGLY.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Let's see.... If I put one in a potato for 25 min@300 no... that didn't work... o.k. let's try a blow torch... darn.. that doesn't look good either... ok, ok, I only paid $ 5 each for this roll maybe I can make one cool dollar.... YES!! ebay make me rich... I bet someone else will buy the other 19.... let's find out.......
  • Options
    More than likely they have "dirty golden toning" which is quite common on circulated Peace $. You can find NT Peace $ on Ebay that are raw and not a gazillion dollars. I often try to snag a cheap one and fom time to time I've been successful. Matter of fact I snagged a 1923-S raw with dark blue and russet toning for $20 that was slabbed by NGC as a MS63 that I later sold for $100+.

They are there, but you have to be patient. These aren't worth the purchase price.

If you are trying to do a complete mintmark & date set of toned Peace $ -- good-luck.

Here's mine @ NGC -- Toned Peace $ Registry Set

I'm still 4 coins short. Luckily I started buying these before the price shot up and I figure that the last 4 I need will cost me at least a kidney.

If you're just trying to find a couple nice ones, that won't be too hard. Other members have a couple of nice ones in their collections.

Here's a 1926-S rainbow rim toned from my collection ---

Michael
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a couple nice ones.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey Stman -- all those 1924 are from the same hoard. I have a sister coin to those. Most were in NGC holders that started #314 --- on the invoice. Nice group of Peace $ though.

Michael
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey, that group of '24s, all with a similar look and all from the same invoice, they're all from the same hoard, or do you mean they're from the same doctor? image

toned Peace dollars are scarce all right, I've got a couple, but none are very nice.

here's a '26,

ill make a picture of my 1934-s monster rainbow toner and post it in a minute...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    before we get to the monster 34s, here's a better shot of that reverse:

• Options
    ok, here's my "monster" rainbow 1934-S peace dollar.

it's ok to make fun of it, but before you do, you have to post a nicer toned '34S, deal? image

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>they're all from the same hoard, or do you mean they're from the same doctor? >>

That's been the debate. According to the legend, these Peace $ were found rolled up in a old newspaper which imparted the colors. A couple of people that I know think they're AT since there were dozens (most if not all were common dates -- 22, 23 & 1924) of them for sale. Later a large lot was sent to NGC for grading and most if not all were slabbed. A few since then have been crossed into PCGS slabs and they've lost the original cert # assigned by NGC. So if they are doctored, it is a REALLY, REALLY good job since all the services have slabbed these beauties. Personally, I have my own questions about the hoard, which have never been answered, but for the most part I think they are NT.

<< <i>it's ok to make fun of it, but before you do, you have to post a nicer toned '34S, deal? >>

That's actually one of the years/mintmarks I need towards finishing my set. So I can't make fun of it! image

Nice 1926, what's the grade on that one?

Michael
  • Options
    I grade the '26 MS64+, and I realize that the P or the N might either 63 it or bag it for image toning.

• Options
    The results are in:

Me: I'm rather interested in this lot, if it isn't too much trouble could you list all the dates of the coins please?

Him:
    1922= 13
    1923= 3
    1925= 1
    1926= 2
    now bid

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Bailey - lovely colors on that 34-S but what does it grade? near VF ? did the same doctor do that one?
  • Options

<< <i>That's been the debate. According to the legend, these Peace $ were found rolled up in a old newspaper which imparted the colors. A couple of people that I know think they're AT since there were dozens (most if not all were common dates -- 22, 23 & 1924) of them for sale. Later a large lot was sent to NGC for grading and most if not all were slabbed. A few since then have been crossed into PCGS slabs and they've lost the original cert # assigned by NGC. So if they are doctored, it is a REALLY, REALLY good job since all the services have slabbed these beauties. Personally, I have my own questions about the hoard, which have never been answered, but for the most part I think they are NT. >>

Frattlaw, Sometimes you amaze me with what you come off with. I know you are supposed to specialize in toned Peace$, but I've seen a few myself. I call BS on your story. You need to really be able to determine what's real and what's not. Newspaper tone? Must have been the color cartoon section huh? I'll bet if you already didn't know.... would you be able to tell which one or ones I posted in the year 1924 is in a pcgs holder? And how about the 2nd 1924.... did that target tone in a rolled up newspaper? image See you had to get me going didn't you.
  • Options
    I'd say it's Fine Plus, another eBay purchase. Hey, I took a chance, and at least it was cheap!

• Options
    O gee... If I had a dollar for every time I wrote the phrase below I'd retire.....

"O look, another cool toned NON-key peace dollar"
  • Options

<< <i>Frattlaw, Sometimes you amaze me with what you come off with. I know you are supposed to specialize in toned Peace$, but I've seen a few myself. I call BS on your story. >>

No BS, Stman, it's kinda widely known. I was told this story by more then a few dealers and I even think there are a few board members here that were around when these coins were first sold raw, I think @ a Santa Clara show.

Michael
  • Options
    Me thinks you might not like when other people get toned Peace$image Come on admit it. You always ask me "What's with the interest in them." As far as this hoard. I've been around and seen many of these. I've passed on many of these. But the ones I own I am confident they are album toned. A few dealers that I happen to know, and collectors that are considered experts on toning have looked at these as well and had no doubt to their originality. Yes I know about the invoice numbers and such we have discussed this before. So I'm not sure why you feel all this is new to me. Anyway, to each his own and no problems here.
  • Options

<< <i>Me thinks you might not like when other people get toned Peace$ >>

I have no idea where you are getting this from. There are more then enough toned Peace $ to go around. I love that others have an interest in these. Please, create a huge demand for them. It only makes those that I have more valuable. I just sold 15 or so through Greattoning and for the most part, they brought 5x the money I paid for them, and they weren't even my "B" coins.

So I have no problems with you or anyone else "getting" these. Matter of fact is some other people want some, I'm going to be selling another 6 or so shortly. Anyone who wants to "get" one can.

<< <i>A few dealers that I happen to know, and collectors that are considered experts on toning have looked at these as well and had no doubt to their originality. >>

Go read my post, I said I too thought they were NT, I even OWN one! I was just reiterating the story because Bailey posted a comment about the originality. And there is a story behind these. I know you knew the story, we even discussed it. Why act like its some BS story now that you bought 4 of them. You like em, you think they're real, NGC thinks they're real, PCGS thinks they're real, I think they're real, and yes a couple of people I know question them, that's all.

Michael

• Options
    What? did I get your feathers ruffled a bit?image
  • Options

<< <i>I just sold 15 or so through Greattoning and for the most part, they brought 5x the money I paid for them, and they weren't even my "B" coins >>

I did watch these and what they went for. To be honest I wasn't too impressed with the prices realized. But if you made money that's great.
  • Options
    A couple of days ago I asked the seller if I could meet him to see the coins. He said, " only after I win the auction", this should tell you he doesnt think too much of these coins! I'll pass on this one!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file