Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please explain the "Population" to me!

Since I am somewhat new at this whole slabbing thing, I am a little ignorant about it. I just want to find out how it is actually determined.

Is the population the total amount of a certain coin submitted, or is it the amount of certain coins submitted in the same grade?

Thanks in advance!
-David

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 2nd guess is closer.

If the population of MS67 1909 VDB (PCGS) is 17, then that means that 17 have been slabbed at PCGS in a grade of MS67.

I don't know the correct population, just using an example.

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    It can be either the population of the total amount of a certain coin submitted, or the amount of certain coins submitted in the same grade.
    Depends how its used.
    Some people selling on eBay will say they have a pop 1 coin but they don't mention there are coins graded higher.

• Options
    So that means that "Population Higher" only includes coins that have a higher grade?

I.e. MS69 pop 200, pop higher 100.

Is there 100 MS70's, or can that somehow include some MS69's that are just a little bit more appealing?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS69 pop 200 100 higher means there are 100 at MS70

Pop higher does not mean same grade. That is why sometimes there are coins that are Pop 1 with 235 higher (or some number).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    aother thing sometimes done is only mention how many graded higher

THIS MS69 has only 100 graded finer by PCGS - but fails to mention there are 10,000 graded MS69

proofs also can be misleading because of the 3 different designations - PR, PR CAM, and PR DCAM

and then copper coins BR, RB, RD

• Options
    Thank you everyone, I understand how it works now.
  • Options
    I have a question related, does the "Pop Higher" portion include coins of the same grade, but with designations? Ex. a Mercury in MS-67 with Pop 20/6, would that 6 include any MS-67FBs? Or would FBs be in the 20 pop?
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Neither the pop report seperates non-fb from fb.
    Same with brilliant proofs-cameo-deep cameo or franklins non fbl and fbl.
    Anything that uses a different pcgs coin number is counted seperate from a similar coin.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pop reports are distored to the point of uselessness. So your best bet is to ignore it. image

jom
  • Options
    Thx Placid!
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    The pops can still be used as a reference for low pop. coins. If something is a pop. 20 you know there are no more then but probly less then 20.
  • Options
    If I were you I would not pay any attention to the POPULATION of any coin because they are so far out of whack
    nobody knows for sure how many ms or pr are out there even though they have been graded.EX: One coin could have been graded by 10 different grading companies and they are all going to count that as part of the POP.This area of the coin world should be changed.I do not know how,but we all know there is a problem with the POPULATION of any one particular coin.
    leon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file