Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NCS certified Binions...a question please

Does NCS certification necessarily mean the encapsuled Binion is a problem coin?

Thanks,

Doug
Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I wondered... all they say is "Genuine," correct? If that's the case, is it like ANACS genuine where neither grade nor problems are noted?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question and I wondered about this myself a while back. I believe some of them are indeed problem coins. Some of them have real environmental damage (note... not just normal toning for the blast white fans out thereimage) And my own personal opinion is some of them went to NCS because quite possibly NGC didn't like the looks of them and didn't want them in the regular graded "Binion Hoard" holders. Just an assumption on my part, but others have agreed with this. The coin below I really see nothing wrong with it.

OK, maybe it's dark toning in some of the areas. It grades MS63 IMO. Got it cheap and I thought the double crescent was unusual looking.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    ttt...thanks for any info.

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    According to Brian Sillman, Assistant Diretor of Operations @ NCS they are "interest coins."
    Not all of them are problem coins; some have advertising stickers on them that collectors collect much like Civil War Tokens and low grade circs not worth the cost of grading.
    But yes, most of them are problem coins that wouldn't grade out or are not good candidated for conservation.
    The one stman posted for example is so heavily toned it would probably NG for enviromental damage and if it were dipped to remove the ugly original tone you would have a dull washed out etched surface. I happen to like stman's Morg, it might not be pretty but it sure is original, which makes it pretty to me.
    Here's an NCS Binion that just plain wore out, certian;y would be an embarrasment to the fancy Binion holder:

Here's one with an advertising sticker that could have had the sticker removed & slabbed but it's worth more with the sticker:

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Dog and Brian Silliman are correct...The Binion coins in NCS holders are not all problem coins...most probably aren't worth the grading costs...Some do have environmental damage, etc. but quite a few have attractive and interesting toning though and aren't damaged...
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Thank you all very much.

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file