Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Real Query: When to dip an AU coin?

I bought a raw pre-1900 Half on eBay in a series I know how to grade. The coin has never been dipped or cleaned and has likely spent most of its time in a coarse envelope. It has just the slightest rub on it that is barely visible when you tilt it in the light. It will likely grade AU58 untouched. I like the looks of the coin.

If I dip it, it will likely grade MS63-64 as most likely the acid wash from Jeweluster will remove the slight evidence of rub (along with some of the original flavor of the coin).

AU58- $200
MS62- $500
MS63- $1,000
MS64- (Very Scarce)

What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dip AU coins when I find them unattractive AND I don't see any problems lurking under the tone.

If you think this coin would be made more attractive by dipping, then dip!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the coin is obviously AU as you indicated, i wouldn't dip it. i doubt that dipping a coin will remove evidence of rub as you suggest. the more probable result will be an AU coin BB'd for harsh cleaning.

al h.image
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I dip it, it will likely grade MS63-64 as most likely the acid wash from Jeweluster will remove the slight evidence of rub (along with some of the original flavor of the coin). >>

I dunno about this statement. I can understand your point if you're meaning without the tone, you won't see the lighter areas of rub so blatantly. But IMO rub is rub. These do slide by many times these days though. You also say you like the way it looks now. So my guess is if you keep it as is it might go into your collection. But if you dip and get a higher grade you make some money possibly.

I'm no expert but if I was familiar with the series (and probably even if I wasn't) I would see the rub toned or dipped. Dip an AU coin and it's probably gonna look washed out, or like a chicken with it's feathers plucked.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    When to dip? Never, EVER! If I don't like the way a coin looks, I don't buy it. To dip a coin is to inflict permanent, irreversible damage to an otherwise original piece, and trying to pass off a dipped AU coin as MS is just plain dishonest. My apologies for such harsh words from a newbie, but I have pretty strong feelings on the matter.

-matt
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mas3cf.....Welcome, I like your style.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My apologies for such harsh words from a newbie, but I have pretty strong feelings on the matter.

keep comin' back, Matt. you'll get over it!!

al h.image
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Depends what your intentions are for this coin:

If you're looking to sell the answer is quite clear: You should help the half "be all it can be" (as far as its PCGS grade goes)

If you're keeping it, and like it as is, why not leave it in its original state? Once dipped it the dip can never be undone. If you change your mind it can always be cracked out and dipped later. Who knows, by the time comes to sell there may be premiums for original undipped coins.

Nice score, by the way. You're a braver man than I!
    -JamminJ
  • Options
    If it spent that much time in an envelope, I would expect it to be too dark to risk dipping. If the toning is dark, I'd leave it alone.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Most AU coins are not improved by dipping because it exposes their flaws.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rub usually becomes more obvious when an AU coin is dipped. Just leave it like it is.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Dipping will not remove the rub, jamesfsm.
    Dipping will not restore the original skin that has been removed from the rub nor will it restore the original luster & patina on the high spots removed by the rub.
    It will now be a blast white AU with rub if you dip it, if it is truly an AU right now.
    It's also very possible that it could slab out at 63 or 64 just like it is now because the graders will call it cabinet friction or roll rub and not hold it against the grade.
    You didn't say what the date was but if it was struck with the open collar it could have weakness in the strike which shows as a different color & loss of detail in the high areas which you are confusing for wear.
    But anyway I'd slab it like it is now just to see what it would do and if you think you are really sharp enough to quadruple your $$ you could crack & dip it later if you don't like how it grades out.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it alone...I think mas3cf said what I would have said.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see a picture

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file