Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Photography -- exhausting!

I just finished photographing all the coins that I have in various registry sets here @ PCGS and at NGC. What a chore. If anyone is thinking doing this, stock up on the aspirin. My neck and back hurts! But at least I accomplished New Year's Resolution #1!

I love the photographs in the type sets.

Modern Type Set 1950 -- Present Proofs Only

and here's my type set @ NGC

20th Century Type Set Proofs Only

Thanks for looking, if you so choose!

Michael

Comments

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I have been messing with pictures of new purchases for the last few hours also. It does take away your energy. mike
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Take care of that headache. It sure was worth it. The coins look great! image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice shots image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Nice job and I know how tough this can be.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics !! image
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    A little help is to use a TV monitor to line up your shots ... gives you better feedback than that little screen on your camera!

If your TV doesn't have a video input on front you can feed the video out from your camera into your VCR.
  • Options
    Nice pictures Micheal.image
    Thanks for the tip, Compa. I never even thought about using the television to actually help in taking the pictures. I knew you could use the television to view the pictures that were already taken but never in my wildest dreams did I think that you could actually use it to help in taking the pictures.image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    bummer - and the model you had to hold them last summer is gone - life suks
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Nice pics, nice collection.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind words. It really is satisfying when you can do this. As a collector I love to share my coins with others. However, except for the Board members here, I really don't know anyone who enjoys coins as much as I do, so I really don't have a chance to pull'em out and show them to people.

The registry concept may have it's detractors, but one of the greatest things about it is the ability to post pics of each coin and share your collection with the world. I wish PCGS had the ability to post obverse and reverse pics as NGC does. I really don't want to bother with editing and pasting the 2 images together. And furthermore, it reduces the size of each pic. The Olympus is a really nice camera for getting in close and getting clear images. It seems like a waste not to post the best and most clear images that I can.

As for the pics, I have to say, it is much easier getting proof pics from the PCGS slabs then the NGC slabs. The white borders really throw off the WB. I had to play with the images a bit until I got them as close as possible as to the coin.

Well, now it's on to the toned Peace $ registry set. I used the proofs as practice. Now the photography gets much harder. I've tried a few toners so far, but the trick really is the lighting and photoshop in order to bring those colors out.

Wish me luck!

Thanks again,
    Michael
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really don't want to bother with editing and pasting the 2 images together >>

Just set up a system of mirrors, and voila! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file