Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin market fundamentals.

cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
There are large numbers of new and newly returned collectors driving the bull market.
Generally these collectors are still gaining the confidence necessary to spend money on
coins. It would seem to follow that we've not seen the fastest growth in the hobby and
demand for coins yet. This is ocurring at a time when dealer supplies are getting very
tight.

It looks like this market is about to kick into high gear.
Tempus fugit.

Comments

• Options
    I think you two hit the nail on the head. Could not have said it better.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Yup, and I'm one of them.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are large numbers of new and newly returned collectors driving the bull market.

All bull markets - stocks, real estate, etc - are fueled in large part by new and returning players. The number of such buyers will peak somewhere around the same time that the market inevitably turns south, so their presence isn't all that comforting to me.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Prices in 2004 and 2005 on the popular, fun coins, will make the prices of 2003 look bargain basement.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope you guys are right.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nicely said.

You also didn't mention about how people are realizing how "liquid" coins are. Try collecting art, antiques, or minerals and see who will step up and wroite you a check for top dollar the same day. In fact, in any other collectable field just see what dealer will even write you a check! Everything has to through auction.

I think people realize how cool coins are, and the internet has really pushed things along.

I had written a new Hot Topics (see Legends web site) about what I think 2004 will bring before this post was up. My thoughts are similar. >>

Very true! Liquidity is a real problem in most other collectible fields. Have you ever tried to sell books, oriental rugs or artwork for CASH? Try it sometime and see how quickly you come back to coins. I am always amused by Antiques Roadshow when a dealer makes a statement like, " I would price this at $20,000 if it were in my shop." I always keep hoping that the owner will ask the dealer, "That's nice, but how much will you give me in cash now?" (Obviously, they would never let a comment like that get on the air.) I can't think of another collectible that has liquidity anything close to coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Nicely said, I do agree.

Now, off topic, just what is the liquidity of a $20,000 piece of art or furniture? Let's assume you just bought it and tried to resell it right away.

Tom
    Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file