Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Authentication Probability Index done by PSA/DNA

API Article

Saw this on the PSA homepage. A very interesting study for autograph collectors or casual observers.

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Thanks for the link, very interesting stuff.

On a side note, if there are any negro league autograph experts out there, please send me a PM. Thanks
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Nice post. Thanks Spack. How much certainty do these "experts" possess? We've all had PSA send us back cards as "trimmed" and then on re-submission they are graded. Does anyone have any experience with PSA rejecting an auto as forged and then, on re-sub, having it authenticated? If so, then these probability figures are not all that accurate.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Frank:

That's an interesting question. I had never thought about the same resubmission logic that we sometimes use on cards being transfered over to the autographs arena.

spacktrack
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    If that has happened then this whole grading cards, grading autographs thing is fraud!!!
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Nothing's perfect, but I would think that "fraud" is a bit of a strong word.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    I had a Big Mac signed ball returned as "not able to authenticate" last year. I didn't obtain the sig myself, but was fairly confident it was 100% legit (I have a real PSA/DNA signed 8x10 from the same time period and they looked identical to me). The problem with a PSA/DNA "re-submission" is the damn cost. He's not even listed on the price list anymoe (???) but it was $125 at the time.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 mantle balls that I personnally obtained in approximately 1988 . I sent them to global and they were sent back as not able to authenticate so I know they are not perfect. I may send them to psa this year but I wasn't looking to sell them so i will probably save my money. It would be more as an experiement with their service.
  • Options

<< <i>The problem with a PSA/DNA "re-submission" is the damn cost >>

that is the problem with
    submitting anything to PSA/DNA
    at all! it is ridiculous for most items
    to have to pay 50 - 150 bucks
    on top of cost of items.

but that is why the $20 deal
    for authentication and grading
    signed cards is a real good one.

imageimage
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    BKAH - exactly!!!!!

Why does it cost "only" $20 to authenticate a Big Mac sig. on a card (and get the slab, too), but $125 to authenticate on any other item (8x10, ball, bat, etc.)?
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I'd be interested in seeing a probability index by medium for some of those players. I'm guessing the most often forged item is the 8x10, followed by baseballs, posters, and so on up.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Gee, I've looked at my signature at different times, and I'm not always sure I wrote it! Sometimes if I'm in a hurry or upset about something, my signature will vary somewhat. How can these guys be so sure?
    Frank

• Options

<< <i>Gee, I've looked at my signature at different times, and I'm not always sure I wrote it! Sometimes if I'm in a hurry or upset about something, my signature will vary somewhat. How can these guys be so sure? >>

This is my main complaint - Mantle was a known drunk, I'm sure his sig didn't look the same after 8 shots than stone cold sober.

I've always looked at autos in three categories:

Good - real autos with solid documentation from the original source (UDA, Steiner, MLB, or best of all, from someone involved in sports like the player himself, etc.)

Bad - autos that are clearly no good - significant deviation from accepted exemplars, no documentation from respected companies

Questionable - How do you differentiate between the really really good forgeries, and the real autographs where neither of them have documentation to back it up?
  • Options
    Questionable - How do you differentiate between the really really good forgeries, and the real autographs where neither of them have documentation to back it up?

Yes, Beef....those are the ones where even the "experts" can make mistakes.
    Frank