Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1867 indian cent variety?

Hello,
I have an 1867 Indian cent which appears to have a die clash... there's an arc in front of Liberty's forehead which looks like the bottom part of the "5" on the Shield Nickel reverse... and there are some raised areas just inside the wreath on the reverse which appears to be some sort of design element... sorry, I don't have a scanner so I can't show it, but does anyone have any info on a variety like this for the 1867? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards! If you have a nice large picture of the cent, it would make it much easier. There are many die clashes with most of the indian cents.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    OK, I was able to use a roommate's scanner with limited results... here it is... it's hard to see the 'extra' features, so I added a pic with the ridge approximately outlined. The stuff on the reverse is absolutely invisible in the scan, so no point in posting it. Any pointers for scanning coins to show low-lying details? Thanks for looking and for any info you can give me.

-matt
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.

That is the typical location for a clash mark from the reverse die and is the upside-down letter "C" in CENT. It makes a coin interesting but doesn't add to the value. The profile of the indian is often seen on the reverse too.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a die clash and what your seeing is the clashing of the C in CENT on the obverse. Kind of neat ain't they! image mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the very quick replies! I would beg to differ about the "c" in "CENT", though; it's the right location, but it's much, much larger than the letters on the reverse. It seems more comparable in size to the "5" on the reverse of a Shield Nickel; pretty big... there's no evidence of the Indian profile on the reverse, though image I found somewhere that apparently there's a Spadone variety of the 1867 that has a "halo" in front if the Indian and I was wondering if maybe this was it... I could be way off base, though.
  • Options
    The C is bigger than you might think - here is a composite of the 1867 reverse on the obverse, showing what the C clash looks like.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Wow, very cool picture. How did you do that? You're right; the C is larger than I thought... I'll double check the coin and see what I can figure out. Thanks!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Matt,

Welcome to the boards.This type of die clashing is consistent with every 1867/67 that I've ever seen.Can you check the date and see if there is any doubling ?Perhaps you have a more interesting coin than you previously thought.

Stewart
  • Options
    Hi Stewart,
    I looked under 20x magnification, and try as I might, I couldn't find any evidence of doubling. Admittedly, I don't know exactly what to look for, so here's a closeup scan of the date-- the best I can do, at least. Thanks for your help!

-matt
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Hi Matt. I have a similar die clash on an 1864. Sorry for the large pic if you're a dialupper.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Here's a link to the major varieties - just click on the camera iconby the date/variety.

Fly-In Club Link
  • Options
    Thanks, Laksamman! OK, it's definitely not a 67/67. JohnZ, do you have a pic of the reverse of that coin?

-matt
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Voila...

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Thanks! Interesting... it looks like you may have something on the inside of the wreath, to the right of the E... any idea what design feature that might correspond to?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file