Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2004 Thomas Alva Edison Commemorative Coin

TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
From the US Mint website

2004 Thomas Alva Edison Commemorative Coin

"I do not regard myself as a pure scientist. I am only a professional inventor."
Thomas Alva Edison, 1908

The year 2004 marks the 125th anniversary of Thomas Alva Edison's invention of the light bulb.

By Act of Congress, and in honor of this historic event, the United States Mint will produce silver commemorative coins. Equal portions of the proceeds from the sale of these coins is authorized to be paid to the Port Huron, Michigan, Museum of Arts and History; the Edison Birthplace Association; the National Park Service; the Edison Plaza Museum; the Edison Winter Home and Museum; the Edison Institute; the Edison Memorial Tower; and the Hall of Electrical History for purposes of repairing, refurbishing and maintaining the various facilities.

Public Law 105-331 states that the designs of the coins "shall be emblematic of the light bulb and the many inventions made by Thomas A. Edison throughout his prolific life." These coins will be offered in both proof and uncirculated condition. The law also authorizes the United States Mint to produce not more than 500,000 silver one-dollar coins.

The obverse of the coin by, United States Mint sculptor/engraver Donna Weaver, features a portrait of the great inventor, in his Menlo Park lab holding an early experimental light bulb.

The reverse design, by United States Mint sculptor/engraver John Mercanti, features a rendering of Edison's first light bulb. The image is encircled above by the inscription "125th ANNIVERSARY OF THE LIGHT BULB" and below by the inscription "1879-2004", "United States of America", "One Dollar" and " E Pluribus Unum".

The composition of the silver one-dollar coins is 90% silver and 10% copper.

The Thomas Alva Edison Commemorative Coins are tentatively scheduled to begin pre-issue sales on February 11, 2004. These coins will remain on sale until December 31, 2004, or until a sell out occurs.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    The full face on a coin just does NOT work.
  • Options
    I prefer this medal...

imageimage

THOMAS EDISON
    (1847 - 1931)

Thomas Alva Edison, inventor of the practical electric light, phonograph, and motion-picture camera, was born in Milan, Ohio, February 11, 1847, and died at Llewellyn Park, West Orange, New Jersey, October 18 1931. Self-educated, he had read Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and had build a chemical laboratory in his cellar by the time he was 11. In 1862 he saved a station agent’s son from death under a train. The grateful father taught Edison telegraphy, an association with electricity that led Edison to experimentation and invention. After five years as a telegrapher in the Midwest, he went to Boston where in 1868 he made his first patented invention, an electrical vote recorder. As a partner in a New York City electrical engineering firm in 1869 Edison invented a stock printer, for which he received $40,000. With the money, his first from an invention, he opened a stock ticker factory in Newark, New Jersey. Later, he built research laboratories, first at Menlo Park, New Jersey, and then at West Orange. He invented the phonograph in 1877 and the motion-picture camera in 1891. On October 21, 1879, he perfected the first feasible incandescent electric lamp. He then developed generating and distribution facilities, paving the way for municipal incandescent lighting and power stations. Edison inaugurated the world’s first such system in January, 1882, in London, and America’s first later that same year in New York City. After World War I broke out he was appointed president of the Naval Consulting Board, forerunner of the Navel Research Laboratories. Of the 1,097 United States patents issued to Edison during his life, 356 dealt with electric generation, distribution, and lighting.

ABOUT THE DESIGN OF THE MEDAL

A visit to the Edison National Museum containing the exhibits of working models of his inventions, a privileged scanning of the archives and extensive collection of photographs there immediately impresses upon the observer that this life of Edison’s was one of the subjective dedication to his work, the never-ending search. Several of the photographs taken during those years of great productivity reflect this attitude of personal sacrifice. It is thus my endeavor to portray an intent Edison supported by a stout limb of the Laurel of Honor, which encompasses the dates of his life. I very much appreciate the information and suggestions so kindly given me by Bryant Baker, sculptor of the Edison bust in the Hall of Fame.
    Reason for the symbolic spreading of light by an angel on the reverse side of the medal derives from two personal impressions; the first at the time of Edison’s death in 1931 observing the three minute blackout of the lights over the city and Capitol Dome from my home on the hill in Maine; and second, observing in Edison’s library at the Museum the marble statue of an angel holding aloft a bulb. It was a considerable expense that he purchased this sculpture in Europe and had it shipped to his library. The three motifs at the bottom of the medal, test tubes, gears, and anchor with American Flag are symbols of his extensive research and invention and those years of service to his country on the Navel Consulting Board. – Granville W. Carter, sculptor of the Edison Medal
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    The light bulb design does nothing for me. Another bad design from our friends at the mint.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    The light bulb design does nothing for me. Another bad design from our friends at the mint.

Exactly! Look at the difference in artistic design. The modern mint artists certainly lack historic creativity...
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Why a 125th year commemorative and not a 100th?
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there will be the inevitable complaining about the design, just so long as noone complains about the honored person. i think i read a quote once where Edison said he had at least one good idea every day and one invention a week that was noteworthy. what a thinker!!

al h.image

• Options
    There have been a lot of really ugly designs lately, but this Edison Commemorative has got to be the God-Awfullest yet. Un-effing-believable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file