Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would be a good first registry set?

I've never done it before, but I like a little healthy competition. What do think would be a good set to assemble for say, $5000? Could you make it to the top five for that amount? And in what category? What about $10,000?

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Proof or high MS roosevelt dimes! In proofs the early 67 and higher Cameos are a little stiff, but you should be able to put one together for under 5k. The high end MS with FB designation is a little more trying as prices are climbing!
    Of course all silver!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Interesting that you should say that Jeff. I was looking at the silver roosies.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ike Dollars would be doable. So would Susan B. Anthony's....I know they're not as difficult to complete simply because of the few amount of coins but getting them in super high grade could be quite a challenge.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry Sets are EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edward VII Sovereign Date Set, Circulation Strikes (1902-1910).

Nice short set, no stoppers in unc, but brutally tough to find gems. You can build a choice unc set for well under 3K. When and if you find some gems, they could be a bit pricey, but you will have no trouble staying under 10K. You will not believe how difficult it is to spend your money on these things. (That's a good thing, isn't it?)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Hmmmm. A darkside registry set.

Do you think the darksiders would ostracize me as a pariah?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Registry Sets are EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy - Let's not get carried away. Most registry collectors are out to lunch (some on Mars), but there's nothing wrong the coins or the concept.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    Do you think the darksiders would ostracize me as a pariah?

Blame me. They will understand.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkside registry sets rock! They are so much more difficult to just find the coins. I'm currantly working on 5 darkside registered sets image
  • Options
    Say Andy, I think you're on to something here. I love my gold, and so far there's only one collection listed, and it only contains one coin.

Got any for sale?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Registry Sets are EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy - Let's not get carried away. Most registry collectors are out to lunch (some on Mars), but there's nothing wrong the coins or the concept. >>

Fine, Fine... just make sure you buy the coins and not the plastic... and don't start a set that has coins you wouldn't otherwise buy...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking of making my next set 1992 Canadian Quarters. They are provences as we are with the states. I think they come in MS, SMS, and Proof. The set should be fun and easy to get in the top five.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Got any for sale?

Nope. Thirty years in this game and I've never owned a business strike gem of that type. I don't know what one would be worth. Maybe a grand? Not a bad value, eh? image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Fine, Fine... just make sure you buy the coins and not the plastic... and don't start a set that has coins you wouldn't otherwise buy...

Jeremy - Since you are apparently my "Target of the Day", I'm also going to correct your last point. When you're building a set, you buy lots of coins you wouldn't otherwise need or want. The real issue, which I'm sure you already understand, is that registry collectors would be well advised to avoid coins that are priced at levels that only make sense in the context of the registry game. If I'm right about that, a 1963 cent at 40K might be a good example of a coin to avoid. And BTW, Jeremy, Happy New Year!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Andy what about the 1902 matte proofs?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Andy what about the 1902 matte proofs?

We've been talking about the business strikes. The 02 proofs are available in gem, but they don't count. image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    The Matte Proofs sure do count!image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint State Clad Quarters- 1965 to 1998. You can still enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" and pick up wonderful coins along the way. It's a bit of a sleeper series and I truly believe that once the State Quarters program plays out these earlier Clads will do well.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Registry Sets are EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Jeremy has the right idea. Don't be a lemming. Don't get sucked into the overpriced, plastic-is-the-most-important-thing ego game.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't get sucked into the overpriced, plastic-is-the-most-important-thing ego game. >>

Funny part about that is that I could sell my favorite registry set right now for more than it cost me to build - A LOT MORE.

One does not need to get "sucked" in to anything to have a good time with the registry, nor does one need to buy "overpriced plastic".

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Jeremy has the right idea. Don't be a lemming. Don't get sucked into the overpriced, plastic-is-the-most-important-thing ego game. >>

I agree completely but if you actually listen to most of the
    registry participants they're saying that they are having a
    blast competing and are not getting sucked into a plastic
    collection.

These sets are getting so much more popular simply because
    they are a blast and it really is up to the individual to make a
    collection of coins or the best plastic money can buy.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    All points are well taken so far. Thank you.

The Soveriegns are intriguing to me, but I've done some hunting, and MrEureka is right. They're very hard to find. It would be quite a hunt to assemble a complete set. No doubt one would have to submit quite a few raw coins for grading in the process, adding to the expense.

The Clad Quarters are also appealing as a sleeper series, and the hunting would be easier, but I'm still leaning toward the Sovereigns. It seems to me that classic gold is just intrinsically more valuable than clad two bits - no offense intended to anyone.

Have to give this some thought. I was thinking of putting together a registry collection over two years at about $10,000.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    A high grade proof set of your birth year might be a good way to get into the Registry for a reasonable price.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    i would do a 50 piece classic commem set..if on a budget ..in 63 or better..could be done reasonably..great coins lots of variety..not a lot of money..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Welcome! I'm a little biased, but a very underrated and affordable set that is about to become more expensive: 1938-64 Jefferson proofs ... It's particularly fun, and potentially profitable, to cherrypick raw coins and make your own. The $76 coin below went PR-67 at PCGS.

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think that proof bust dollars would be a cool set. Not too many to bog you down and they look really nice in proof.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    There are quite a few of us on the dark side registry set. image Don't have cut throat competition though. We just register what we have that is already slabbed with no pressure to complete or out do anybody else. image

The Barbarous Relic Collection
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Darkside registry sets rock! They are so much more difficult to just find the coins. I'm currantly working on 5 darkside registered sets image >>

Which ones are they? Any British gold?
    trozau (troy ounce gold)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file