Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dipping and luster??

I wanted to get some opinions of those who know more about dipping than I. If a coin has been dipped only once or twice (in this case I'm thinking of Morgan dollars in particular), can it still have above average or very flashy cartwheel luster? I know that coins that have been dipped repeatedly can get that "dull and lifeless" look, but I'm not so sure about the ones that have had only one go-around. By the way, I have no intentions of every doing the dip- I happen to like oxidation!image
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Depends. They can retain good luster after a dip if done right.
    Many coins that go to ncs are graded ucam or pl after a dip.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    If you magnetize silver coins to get all the atoms in a line dipping will not change the luster and can sometimes improve itimage. mike
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Magnetizing the silver coins to get the atoms aligned??? image Is that a job for a true professional?? I would like to hear a description of that process! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • wha-WHAT? Silver is a Group 9 transition metal; it's not ferromagnetic! Nor are the silver/copper alloys of which most US silver coins are made! How can "magnetization" possibly affect the superatomic structure? Am I missing something?
  • Besides, even if you could induce atomic organization, how would that affect the redox properties at the surface (toning/luster)?? I may be a scientist, but I'm baffled by this...
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    First you need a brass magnet............. I was just kidding guysimage Everybody has their own twist on dipping. I prefer to use a very light solution. Dipping actually takes away some metal each time so luster is sure to suffer the more a coin is dipped. Luster can look stronger after a dip if a haze or toning is removed. good luck. mike image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file