Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2003 Set Newps -- Post your highlights

As 2003 comes to a close and we think back on the year now ending, how have our sets improved this year?

From my perspective, it seems that the market has coaxed out a number of fine specimens that I have been able to add to my set. image I've just posted the latest PCGS-graded addition. A few other NEWPS must await a cross-over submission before they can be added, but here's the preview:

1797 9x7 Large Letters - MS63:

1798 Close Date - MS64:

1799 Normal Date - PCGS-MS65:

1799 Stars 8x5 - MS64PL:

1800 12 Arrows - MS63:

What are the highlights of your 2003 additions? Let's post them here!

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cardinal: Not even I care to follow that lineup! We are not worthy...... image

But I'll toss a nice one into the mix....PCGS MS64:

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Cardinal,

Will you adopt me, and add me to your will? image

Thanks for sharing. What neat coins!

TDN,

Nice '71CC!

I saw you were honing your imaging skills on another thread. Nice image on this one. Is this your work?

Dan
  • Options
    Geez guys I wish I had something I felt I could contribute to this thread. Your coins are amazing and unless I win lotto I'll just hang back and drool.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I saw the 1799 normal date with the blue toning steak in person and it is one cool coin.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shock and Awe. How can any other person put coins up after seeing those dollars ?

Ken
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Geez guys I wish I had something I felt I could contribute to this thread. Your coins are amazing and unless I win lotto I'll just hang back and drool. >>

I'm considering tossing my entire coin collection in the trash and collecting something else. image

Well, maybe not. I guess I'll just drool too. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Well I am not sitting back and letting those dollars take all the glory. Do not get too excited now about these. image

19S PCGS66

28S PCGS65FB and under graded.

29P PCGS66FB

31D PCGS66FB

Ken
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll toss a nice one into the mix....PCGS MS64

TDN, talk about a nice one! image

I just checked the PCGS Pop Report and saw this was a Pop 1 finest known for the date, and the finest known of all PCGS-graded CC Seated Dollars, exceeded only by your NGC-MS65 1873-CC!

But here's a question -- if you dare to share -- the PCGS Pop report now shows another interesting Pop 1 coin: an MS64 specimen of the 1873-S!!! imageimage
  • Options
    Ken,

Those are some gorgeous Mercury's!image

Your imaging is superb! I've yet to learn how to adequately capture the luster like that.
  • Options
    Dam: Not my image unfortunately - I do believe that George at Legend took that image.

The 71-CC is the James A Stack specimen. I've drooled over it for a decade....and it finally came up for sale in the Rudolf Collection.

Ken: Your images and coins are superb.

Cardinal: A 73-S?? Must have got the wrong coin number put onto a trade dollar....I'd pay a pretty premium for that coin just for the holder! image

Ok, one more since it's New Years Day [PCGS MS66 - the "Boston Dollar"]:

• Options
    TDN,

Your "Boston" Dollar is amazing! I've seen it in person, and as nice as the image makes it look, the coin itself is FAR nicer.

Isn't it incredible that such a coin could remain in such near perfect condition after all of these years? Numismatics did not become an established hobby in this country until the mid-1800's, and the very first U.S. coin auctions did not take place until the 1860's. So, someone had the interest and foresight to take special care of that coin some 50+ years before coin collecting ever became popular here.
  • Options
    Gentlemen, (TDN and Cardinal)

Thank you for the fine display of dollars this morning. imageimage
    Dan
  • Options
    Cardinal: LegendSteve took that image, so.....well....you know... image

But seriously, you are correct. The luster just drips off the coin and the image doesn't show that very well [not many do - Ken's really good at it, tho]. When I saw the coin at ANA auction lot viewing, my jaw dropped open. Jack Lee was the underbidder and he said it's the only 'truly new' bust dollar he's ever seen. Coming from him, that's high praise! The only drawback to the coin is the fingermark in the right obverse field - but in person it's not as distracting because your eye is drawn to the luster and color of the coin.

BTW - for those interested, it's called the Boston Dollar because the same family in Boston held the coin for well over 100 years.
  • Options

<< <i>The only drawback to the coin is the fingermark in the right obverse field - but in person it's not as distracting because your eye is drawn to the luster and color of the coin. >>

I was going to mention the print in my previous reply. The reason I didn't is because some people are sensitive to criticism (positive or negative) about their coins. Since you brought it up, I'd like to share my thoughts. Obviously the coin was very well cared for. The print, while not distracting IMO, adds to the originality of the piece. While you would most likely prefer the print not to be present, if you gaze at it you can almost visualize the original owner picking up the coin to admire it. To me, that's a touch or originality not found on most coins, even though that (orginality) is not mint made. image

Unless of course the print came from the grading service. Then it's a whole new ball game! image
    Dan
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Those are some awesome coins, Cardinal. I can't compete with them for rarity, but here are some of my favorites for the year. I "made" the first 3 myself.

First, a 1911-D cent in MS64RD

imageimage

A 1925-D cent , also in MS64RD

imageimage

A 1930-P Buffalo in MS66

imageimage

A 1920-D Mercury in MS65

imageimage

A 1918-P Standing Liberty in MS65FH

imageimage

A 1949-P Washington in MS66. Not an expensive coin, but one that I've had for nearly 30 years, and finally got it slabbed this year. Also, 1949 was a VERY good year. image

imageimage

A 1954 Franklin in PR67CAM. Not in a set.....yet. image

imageimage

A 1902-S $5 gold in MS63. It's my only pre-1930 certified $5 gold.

imageimage

And finally, a 1926 $10 Indian in MS64

imageimage

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins and nice images!!!

A few comments:

1. I do think that Ken's images drip luster the best, with Coinconut's coming in a very close second.
    2. I second the comment of originality implied by the fingerprint on the "Boston" dollar. ED's with awesome luster simply can't compare in an absolute sense with Morgans, Walkers, Mercs and a whole host of more recent material. It's unrealistic to expect the dripping luster of a MS66 Merc or Morgan to be on an MS66 ED. And, that particular ED has more of a silky, PL luster that doesn't lend itself to imaging quality.
    3. The Stack 71CC dollar image has a scanned look to it. Probably George's handiwork.
    4. I am glad to see that Cardinal acquired that BB-159!!!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Very Very nice coins.

The Boston Dollar really caught my eye right off the bat. All I could think of was who's finger could have put the print on the coin and I was not thinking PCGS. By the way I think the print gives the coin some character. If the print was on a Modern issue then it would not be cool at all but on this coin it is way cool.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>By the way I think the print gives the coin some character. >>

That was exactly my point. 200 years of character when there wasn't the hobby as it exists today, versus a 20 - 30 year old coin improperly cared for.
    Dan
  • Options
    I hope this contributes to this fine thread.

PCGS MS65RD ( Any boogers are on the holder and not the coin )

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Oh.... I almost forgot..... the Amon Carter 1838 - PCGS PF64 [cough, cough]

• Options
    TDN,

It looks like your Amon Carter catalog is a bit faded. Here are the images from my copy:

Awesome coin! image
  • Options
    Now that's Art!
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    2003 was a very good year for some of us, judging from the pictures. Hope 2004 is equally good.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    rayovacrayovac Posts: 192 ✭✭
    I have made the following upgrades to my Jefferson nickel sets this past year. While not in the same catagory as other posts I feel I had a productive year.

1942D PCGS MS67FS 6 steps
    1962D PCGS MS64FS 5.5 steps
    1978P PCGS MS67FS
    1963D PCGS MS64FS
    1952P PCGS MS64FS 5.5 steps
    2002D PCGS MS67FS 6 steps
    1993P PCGS MS67FS 6 steps
    1943S PCGS MS67FS 6 steps
    1939P PCGS MS66FS R38
    1971P PCGS MS67FS 6 steps
    1939S PCGS MS65FS R38
    1942T1 PCGS MS66FS