Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New to the forum

image Hi!!!!!!!!!!! wybrit suggested i introduce my self being new and all so here i go.
I live in England
I been collecting coins for as long as i can remember!
I enjoy learning ballroom and latin dancing
I love to read
and
erm............. that's about it. I used to collect any and every coin i could get but now i want to specialize in coins from Queen Victoria of England's reign. I especially like sets of coins from that period. Any help is welcome.
Also HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sophia

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Welcome!

Salsa, merengue, cumbia, tango?

I know which coins image
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum of the DARKSIDE.......Victorians most welcome! image

HNY!
  • Do ya mean what dances i know??????????????? I learn
    Waltz
    Quickstep
    Slow Foxtrot
    Tango
    Samba
    Cha Cha Cha
    Rumba
    Jive
    Pasodoble
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, Sophia!

I'm more an Austrian/Holy Roman Empre collector myself but Brits are quitre popular here, and I understand collecting Victoria coins can be a challenging and enjoyable lifelong persuit. Are your reading interests related to your collecting?

-JamminJ
  • Nah. I've read only one book on coins. I like those My Story books. Ya know the diaries that tell you about the past. I love history. I find it soooooooooooo interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!imageIf it weren't for books and coins and cats it wouldn't be worth livingimage
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Hello again Sophia. Happy new year and welcome!

There are plenty of folks here who collect and sell Victorian era coinage. MacCrimmon and Lloyd have expertise and examples that most can only dream about. Ajaan, Farthing and Avarel all collect some Victorian as well and know quite a bit about the genre. Many others have nice specimens as well, including a chap named hetman who occasionally pops in to gloat about outsniping me on an ebay purchase.

If you have a digital camera or scanner, show us some of your collection!

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I said related to your collecting - not identical! I'm a history buff myself and I work it in like this:

I read a book about the Thirty Years' War - I buy a Ferdinand II coin.
    Read one about the First World War and into my collection pops the Kaiser!

Sounds like you may operate similarly, are the diaries based in Victorian times?

-JamminJ
  • Welcome Sophia!
    Glad to see you come over and join us!
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it weren't for books and coins and cats it wouldn't be worth living >>

That's your cue, jester!! image

Sophia, wybrit's a sly sage and has an incredible depth and breadth of choice British coins including Victorian. Watch for his Brit Tip series! image

Now, excuse me, but I have a date with a 16 year-old and a 35 year-old.....image

Single-malts, that is......
  • JamminJ in answer to your question the diaries are from all different periods of time. I recently read one about an african slave so that was victorian. But my favourite ones are about the tudors. Ya know Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. I'm reading on about the civil war between Charles I and the parliment of roundheads as they were called. I don't know why I chose to try and collect victorian coins, maybe because i have a penny and a threepence and I think they're quite nice.

I'm afraid I don't have a scanner wybrit and my digital camera don't work. I guess you'll just have to imagine my collection. It's pretty naff by the way. No special foreign coins. I've got a few commemorative £5. My favourite coin are my roman ones a friend of mine found on a dig somewhere.
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Sophia. Always nice to have a newcomer.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it weren't for books and coins and cats it wouldn't be worth livingimage >>

Two out of three is not bad!image

Welcome to the forum!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Sophia, I have a slight interest in Victorian coins too....

• Welcome to the forum, Sophia!! More ladies in our rows -- more cosinees at DARKSIDE ! image

May be soon I'll get my first coin with Victoria, and I solemny swear here, that I'll post the scan of the coin to the forum!

Two more things: Is it rainy now in England?
    image we have here now very ugly rain!!

And the last thing: could you tell me please, what is it "ballroom" - it means ballet, or something else?image

Edited to add: P.S. Sometimes Wybrit has really nice ideas...image
    N. N.
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!!
    and Happy new year!!!!
  • Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Welcome to the Forum Sophia! Books and Cats huh? Can't beat that combo.

Mark
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. wybrit is really the expert on Victorian error coins. You have no idea how difficult it is for me to admit that, but it is true.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "If it weren't for books and coins and cats it wouldn't be worth living" --Sophia

Welcome Sophia!!! I can certainly understand the above quote! I have 2 cats, tons of books, and a few coins. I'm glad you could join us here.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Warm Dark Side welcomes, sophia! Hope you find some time to hang around, and enjoy the hobby with us.
    Joe
  • Welcome Sophia - I know you will enjoy this unruley bunchimage
    Shep
  • Answers to ya questions shipcoin.
    1. It was raining badly on new years eve so not many fireworksimage weather here is normally 90% rain 9% other and 1% sunny! At least that is what it seems like.
    2. Ballroom dancing is old fashioned dancing were a man and lady dance together in a ballroom. It is nothing like ballet.
    Sophia

Edited to add: Hi 1jester. I have 6 cats, a load of books and tons of coins. One of my cats happens to be called Jester!!!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!

I have been collecting Victorian coins dated 1901 for my daughter, Victoria, who was born 100 years later. I am branching out into ALL 1901-dated Victorian-portrait coins of the Empire, not just the homeland. So you see, you're far from alone in your collecting interests here. image

Here's a Victorian coin I recently picked up for myself, though Little Miss Victoria may end up with it one day. It's a proof 1893 half-sovereign.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
      Cats, huh?

We have two. Penny the Monster is by far the most photographed. There is a picture of her doing her world-famous "Turn off the Lights" trick on my eBay page.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    • Thanks for your detail answers , Sophia image

I catch it now: ballroom it just pair dances in ballroom ! image

Sometimes it takes me time to understand...image

Edited to add: LordM, your Penny cat looks exactly like one of cats of my parents! We shell need to check their pedigree !

image (I mean cats, sure)
      N. N.
    • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
      Welcome to the Forum Sophieimage

<< <i>If it weren't for books and coins and cats it wouldn't be worth living >>

Here's a picture with all three, featuring our other cat, who is rather geriatric and has a weak stomach. (O Joy.)

• love your cats lordmarcovan!!!!!!!!! They're so cute!!!!!
      i like the waving cat on theboz11's reply!!
    • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
      Welcome to the Forum, Sophia!! image We're glad to have you ... and wiley Wybrit is a great tutor for the sorts of coins you are collecting. You'll find that most everybody here has a love of history (to go along with their love of coins) and comfortably "agrees to disagree" about cats.image The forum is a great place to learn and expand your horizons. We have three firm rules: 1) treat everyone respectfully (until they're your friend and then tease them mercilously), 2) have fun, and 3) there are no "stupid" questions. Even the most knowledgeable of us are woefully ignorant about vast areas of world and ancient coinage ... well, because it really is so vast!!
      Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
    • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
      "Hi 1jester. I have 6 cats, a load of books and tons of coins. One of my cats happens to be called Jester!!! --Sophia

No kidding?! image That's really image !!!

imageimageimage
      .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
      Hi Sophia, glad to have you aboard! Sorry to be late to welcome you and I echo the sentiments of the esteemed members who posted before me.
      One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
      is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
    • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
      Welcome!
    • Welcome to our little corner of the world, Sophia5892! It's nice to have you here.

Wybrit says I have some nice coins but he's really the expert on things British. My knowledge is very limited; I'm here just to soak up the seemingly endless knowledge of others here. So I don't post much.

Happy New Year too.image