Home U.S. Coin Forum

Here's an interesting way to use a bodybag as a selling point

Comments

• At least he was honest about why it is not in a holder ... providing he is telling the truth about PCGS of course.
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• It's all about spin!
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Spin's a good way to describe it. The seller is turning lemons into lemonade. The problem is that PCGS does not necessarily authenticate something if they're going to bag it.
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Is it my imagination, or do the surfaces look concave? In other words, was it bagged as not genuine?
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    His auction title and description are a lie, pure and simple. It is not PCGS graded.

Russ, NCNE

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem is that PCGS does not necessarily authenticate something if they're going to bag it. >>

I actually asked this to PCGS, that is, what is the reason for body bagging if it's got more than one problem... authenticity is ALWAYS the first criterium for bagging, and will be noted.

Though, as Russ said, the coin is 100% NOT graded, or under the PCGS guarantee, or even guaranteed to be the same coin that was bodybagged.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The problem is that PCGS does not necessarily authenticate something if they're going to bag it. >>

I actually asked this to PCGS, that is, what is the reason for body bagging if it's got more than one problem... authenticity is ALWAYS the first criterium for bagging, and will be noted.

Though, as Russ said, the coin is 100% NOT graded, or under the PCGS guarantee, or even guaranteed to be the same coin that was bodybagged.

Jeremy >>

Not according to David Hall. I had to look back a ways, but I remember his answer making an impression earlier this year.

does a bodybag for cleaned mean authentic coin?
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have to agree to disagree (or something)

Why would someone fake the bodybag? does he have another 1869-S $20 gold piece sitting around that has a rim nick?

Will showing the bag have any effect on sale price? It is a common date and lower grade -

Airplanenut - what you thought you heard from "PCGS" goes completely against what 'homerunhall' said when I asked him about a 1916-D

I would have to think (since the spend a good 10-15 seconds grading a coin), that if they see a major problem, they would bag it in 3 seconds and take a little break

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file