Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Roll Call..How many of you own a 1909 S VDB?

When you did you buy it, how much did it cost and what's the grade? List multiples if you are lucky enough to own more than one.

I bought mine raw in 1998 for $700.00. Graded by PCGS as MS 64 RB.

Ogden

Comments

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    XF 45 bought a while back for $380...image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own (2) PCGS-MS66RD. Everytime I seriously think about selling one off, I always find something "better" to sell. image I also own one or two raw circulated specimens. No doubt, one of my personal favorite coins.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch,
    You have tooooo much money!imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    "You have tooooo much money!"

Actually, way too little of that - just tooo many coins image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    I do.... I inherited it. Dad collected it from circulating change it might be VF....

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always wanted one from a kid at age twelve to today at age 36.

Problem for me is the price VS. the scarcity. Seems there is great demand for the coin, but it is not terrible scarce by any means. For that price I want something that not everybody has.

Just me though and I would still like to own one for bragging rights.

Tyler
  • Options
    Me and my wife inherited an ms63 red, very nice coin.....
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F12, taken out of circulation by my uncle in 1942.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great coin to own.

With all the history behind this coin a person could write a good sized book.

It's funny how many folks that know nothing about coins know of the 1909 S VDB.

I wonder how many people joined the hobby because of it?image
    Larry

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Don't got one.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I have a PCGS MS63RB one that I bought a few years ago I think for 700.00 or so. It's a nice mostly brown coin with red highlights.
  • Options
    65RB (PCGS) very RED for an RB coin (I have tried twice on regrade to try for the RD). Paid $2k for it about a year ago.
  • Options
    I just purchased one on ebay a week ago. PCI MS 66 RD. Paid 2,800.00 for it. (Hope I didn't overpay) Havn't seen it in person yet. Darn holidays, I have to wait another day for the mail!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one: "ANACS FN12 Details/ Net PO01"
    "Severely Damaged"

That ANACS. They sure know how to make a coin sound 'bad'.

peacockcoins

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    PCGS VF35

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I have one: "ANACS FN12 Details/ Net PO01"
    "Severely Damaged"

That ANACS. They sure know how to make a coin sound 'bad'. >>

Yes, but it's still a cool one.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I don't but my buddy Bruce has one. It's slabbed by I forgot by who (it's not PCGS or NGS). It's low end grade. I think he paid around $400 for it last summer.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    I don't have one yet but hope to one of these days. One of the local shops has two of them-both raw, the owner is probably sick of me drooling on them.
  • Options
    I have one. It is an ANACS net graded VG8,obverse corrosion spots. I bought it in the 9-11 Forum members auction, thanks to Wondercoin.image I think I paid $350 or so for it.
    Gary
  • Options
    Wonder coin, you have two (2) MS 66 Red ones???? Wow! Who graded them?? How did you come about getting them, where and what??

I think since I've been a little boy (50's) I have wanted this coin. I was lucky to get one with a reasonably high grade of MS 64 RB. No hope for Red.

John
  • Options
    I have a vg that I bought in the 70's with quite a story (to me anyway).

Some coins were advertised for sale and I went out and looked at them. At the time I was buying some coins and selling a few too. I paid more than dealers but only coins I enjoyed.

I bought a few and later went back and bought some more. He was tired of low offers he had had and since I had offered hom fair prices he brought out some indianheads (which I bought) he had several BU 49s Dimes and Halves I also bought, but not all of them.

I didn't like Lincoln cents and he said he had some. I told him I wasn't interested as i just didn't collect them. He finally and said he would give me a great price. $90 for the set. I finally relented and said I would look at them. Of course I saw the 09S vdb and bought the set.

Later at home I was looking them over and one coin was out of place. Turned out to be a 14 D, so the set had 2 1914 D cents.

That weekend, at the coin club, I sold the 09 SVDB for $95. Subsequently the gentleman died and I ended up buying the complete set back although I cannot remember the price.

To this day I still have the set.

I also have a 09S in fine or so and a nice XF. I think one came from the first set I bought and the second when I rebought the set after he passed away.

One thing I also remember about the $90 set is a 1922 No D. It was a very clean VF plus. I sold it to a shirt tail dealer, the the same weekend I sold the S VDB. I am thinking the price was $55.

I have always regreted selling that coin.

OH Well!

• Options
    Jimtree, great story! I think the 09 s vdb would be the last coin I would sell. I think because it took so long for me to own one (over 40 years) and was such a part of my childhood fantasy, that I would really need to have money prior to selling. Thanks for adding such a great story.

Ogden
  • Options
    Gary - Yes, I remember that 9-11 svdb - what a special coin and even better that your $350 went to the widows and orphans fund for the families of slain firefighters in 9-11.

John: I bought one of the MS66RD coins a few years ago from a dealer as an NGC-MS66RD. It was truly a lovely coin and crossed on the first try. I then bought another around a year ago at public auction already in the PCGS-MS66RD holder. It was high end for the grade and I figured I would pick the best one to keep between the two coins and sell the other. Easier said than done image

I also had a PCGS-MS65RB which I consigned to the Heritage FUN sale (Lot 4736).

Wondercoin

P.S. I was offered a PCGS-MS67RD 1909(svdb) for around $25,000 a few years ago and passed on the coin. Talk about stupid - I should have sold my 66RD, 65RB and a few other things and just held on to that one image
  • Options
    Geeeeez, what would a MS67 Red 09 S VDB sell for now? I didn't even know one was graded that high,
    It could rival one of those 1913 Liberty Nickels!!!

Ogden
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    only one .....pcgs 63-rbimage
  • Options
    I have 3. 1---VF30 ish, two MS65BRN, both NGC's. Paid 550, 1800, and 2000 this year. I guess I went a little over board since I was deprived of these coins in my childhood---lol
    Its a foul ball by a fair margin.
  • Options
    I have one...bought it in 1964 for $10.00. My father had a fit because I spent 10.00 on a !@$! penny!......The bad thing is, I could have gotten the 1909 S for 5.00, but my dad wouldn't loan me the money....image Ooops..it's only in g-vg condition....
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I had two until about a week ago. I sold a PCGS 63BN on e-bay. This is the one I'm left with. I paid $1668 for it in January 2003. A month ago, I had it reholdered which put an additional $5 into it. ...sure does look good in that clean slab, though.

David

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a PCGS MS65RB on eBay for $1,400 back in 2000 (nice investment). Several months before, I had received an unexpected signing bonus and I decided to make my childhood dream come true.

Looking at the coin I sometimes wonder why it isn't graded higher.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have one image

I will, though, gladly take a donation image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    OK, OK, The wife has one in her set.
    2) I've got one in inventory
    3) I've also got one for show 'n tell that has an added mint mark. (No it ain't for sale)
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    anacs vf35
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I bought mine a year ago for $500.00. It is raw and grades VF -35.

John
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    V.G. for $150 back in Dec. 1977.
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    My son wanted one for his collection of circulated lincolns (most key dates are AG to G). The 1909-S V.D.B. was his last coin. I bought one from the Royal Oak Mint (copy) in MS-66. He learned to read a year later and discovered it was not genuine. He still likes it though because it is the only "really shiney" coin in his collection.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    Bought mine in 2001, ANACS 63 BN for $ 725......

Steveimage
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Bought mine about four years ago. Its a PCGS AU55. Think I paid arounf $700.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my collection PCGS-64R

I also have a circulated one (around XF-45-Au-50) currently submitted to PCGS that I bought raw to send in for the quarter free submission. I dont plan on keeping it, but hated to waste the free submission tier.

jim
  • Options
    I bought mine as a raw AU 3 years ago for $550. I sent it to PCGS and it now resides in a PCGS XF45 holder.

Paul
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vf35 - first coin I bought on ebay several years ago. currently inhouse for slabbing
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    I got an anacs ef40 for @500 about a year and a half ago. imageimage

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    ANACS VF-35...got off ebay for around $560 I think...
  • Options
    PCGS XF45. Bought it and a 1914D last year to complete my circulated Lincoln set. Paid $850 total for the two coins.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a 1909-S VDB in VF-20 from a local coin shop in August of 1991 for $361.40, and swapped it to Spooly for some other stuff in April of 2002.

I got a spectacular MS66BN version from Superior in March 2000 but overpaid; sold it to Spooly again in 2002, who later crossed it.

I got my current MS66Rd version from a Heritage Signature Sale in April of 2000. It's coming up for auction at Superior's Pre-Long Beach sale later this month along with the rest of my Lincoln Wheaties.

I suddenly realize I'm going to be without a 1909-0s VDB for the first time in 13 years! WAAHHHH! image
  • Options
    This thread shows why they're so expensive. Nearly everybody has at least one.
  • Options
    I got the wife one for Christmas. ANACS VF details, cleaned, net F12.
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine's an AU-55.
  • Options
    PCGS XF40, got it in a swap a few years ago.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file