New Registry Special

http://www.psacard.com/setregspecial.chtml

$5/card
1972-present
35 day turnaround
25 card minimum

I can think of 25 cards I'd like to send in at $5 per image

Edit: added 25 card min.
Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM

Comments

• Options
    I'm all over that.
    I will send in a bunch of 1975 Topps Baseball as well as a bunch of recent HOF tribute cards to round out my HOF set!
    Happy new year!!!!

Dave
    sellerman23
    1965 Topps
    1975 Topps
    1952 Topps
    HOF
  • Options
    Yeeee-haaaaa! I have a pile of 1975 Topps Mini's that have been just waiting to find a home in a holder.
  • Options
    Bleacher,

You starting to do minis or currently??

Let the fun begin that should open the floodgatesimage
  • Options
    PSA,

dgf
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I'm on it like a cop on doughnuts. . .

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! It's been a year since PSA had a $5 special, and not coincidentally it's been a year I submitted any cards.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time they had the $5 special I sent in three batches totalling over 100 cards. Haven't sent in a thing since, but that will change Monday morning!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!! Mama always said " good things come to those who wait " that and the fact my wallets empty but hell at $5 a card I'll whip out the plastic!!!!!!! imageimageimageimage
    "All my life I've been searching for something"
  • Options
    GRRRRRREAT. I am getting to "piggyback" and this will Only help. I will sumbit even more cards. And spend more money. ...thanks psa?????

James
    x
  • Options
    nice, I might just do this.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Looks like eBay will be flooded with PSA 8 & 9s from the 70's over the next 3-4 months. I expect to see a number of 50-100+ card lots of PSA 8 70's material in March.
  • Options
    Great.

Now I'll submit those 1981 Fleer Baseball Variation Cards and update my 39 8's to 9's or 10's and submit some cards that I think will come back a 10.

Dale

1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    Sellers- expect the $3 and $4 PSA 8 1972 common sales on eBay come February and March. I hesitate to guess where PSA 8 levels will go on commons from 73' to 79'. Do I hear $1?.
    Let's hope a $5 grading special draws out hundreds of new set builders in this 70's market.
    For those building sets 72' and later this special makes it fun. Can't beat $5 to grade your cards and look to pick up commons on eBay all day long at much lower levels.
    Let the games begin.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Open up the flood gates. You know the graders at PSA are crying now. Let the 64 hour work weeks begin. They had better clear their schedule for the next month. I'll be submitting at least 500 cards this month. I wonder what prompts this special? Are submissions down? Maybe it is an attempt to squash any SGC or GAI set building. Either way I am happy.
  • Options
    My hypothesis is that with the new membership requirement, submission levels dropped a little more than they anticipated. They needed a hook to draw in more memberships as well as submissions. I joined at the gold level the day before they changed the pricing structure (which was good by itself due to the drop to 1972 for "modern"), then I read about the new special. At least 100 of my cards are heading to CA. image

Justin
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news! I've been sitting on several hundred 1972-76 commons waiting for this special to return.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure this registry special was a strategic marketing scheme. I think after all the other registry specials, it was just time for it to appear again. In theory, there are 12 months annually, so there are 12 registry specials. They tried ones like 1950's Baseball, and 1950's Football, well now its time for the modern cards. To some of the vintage collectors, this special is not for them, just like a lot of the Baseball collectors didn't utilize the Non Sports special from a few months ago.
    I'll make a go at it and try to make a dent in the '72/73 Hockey set I recently started, I have a bunch waiting to be housed in slabs...jay
  • Options

<< <i>You know the graders at PSA are crying now. Let the 64 hour work weeks begin >>

It is not like they have a 5 day turnaround
    on these. There is a 35 day turnaround,
    so they will be able to work at the pace
    they need to.

<< <i>there are 12 months annually, so there are 12 registry specials >>

Most of the specials
    (This one included) last for TWO MONTHS
    so it would be more like 6 specials per year.
    imageimage
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    There will be no pace to go by when 50,000 cards are submitted in one week.
  • Options
    Steve is right. PSA is gonna get slammed in the next few weeks. This is the kinda special most of us have been waiting for. There are gonna be huge amounts of new slabs on the market too!
  • Options
    Gator,
    I'm a little late with my reply. I'm about 20% into the 1975 mini set, mostly from my own submissions.

Steve
  • Options
    I think it's just cyclical - football submissions are done for the year, baseball won't heat up for another 1-2 months - now is undoubtably the slow time of the year, membership required or not.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Sellers are already getting killed on the '76s. I just grabbed Catfish Hunter in a nicely centered PSA 8 for $3.50 including shipping.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    This is a great opportunity for Team Set collectors to turn in modern cards (late 80s to present) that no one else would bother to get graded. I'll wait for the 70s to early 80s to hit eBay in a few months.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Great special, I have been waiting a while for one of these so I can send in some crossovers and basketball cards.
  • Options
    You do know a lot of people dont really care about the registry, the will just use it to grade modern cards.

But I am all over this one. I going fora few hockey sets myself.

Thank you PSA

hockeybonkers@yahoo.ca
  • Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    I personally love this special. I'm collecting almost all "modern" sets, so this special appeals to me. I also love the ability to be able to add on to my reggie white player sets. This will be fun.

Josh
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Damn....my membership expired a few days ago. This is a great special.

If I have sets registered with the PSA Registry, can I take advantage of this deal? Or do I still need to be a member first?
  • Options
    Here is the question(s) of the day:

About the new Set Registry special, PSA says that all you have to do is submit the cards and then put them into your set. Who checks this??? I think you are right about seeing a lot more cards on eBay after the special, but if everyone played by the rules the only cards you would see are ones that have been upgraded in people's personal sets. So I guess as long as there is a set registered, people will submit cards and PSA will assume that they will either put them into their existing set or start a new set when the cards come back. I wonder what PSA does when people submit like 10 of the same card on these specials. It just seems like eveyone will take advantage of this special and grade a bunch of cards at a cheap price and then eBay them without them ever being entered into a set...

Your thoughts???

Dave
    sellerman23
    1965 Topps
    1975 Topps
    1952 Topps
    HOF
  • Options
    ^^^^That was my exact question. Can I not just submit say 25 random 1972-present cards for grading? Who's to stop me from getting a Fleer Clemens rookie graded and then starting a Set Registry with just this one card? Or any set for that matter? I'm not sure how this can't just be a "$5/Card Grading Special for any 1972-present card"?!?
  • Options
    Let's be careful. Stringent control has it's downside. I dont think anyone wants PSA to be inflexible when we want to bend a rule, no matter how slightly. I think the rules are loosely written so as many people can participate as reason would suggest. I believe PSA's intent is to be fair to all. Will there be abuse...yes...as in anything. Dont lose any sleep over it though.
    When the price drops to $5/card I think we should just say, Thank You.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>^^^^That was my exact question. Can I not just submit say 25 random 1972-present cards for grading? Who's to stop me from getting a Fleer Clemens rookie graded and then starting a Set Registry with just this one card? Or any set for that matter? I'm not sure how this can't just be a "$5/Card Grading Special for any 1972-present card"?!? >>

Thats why you see a ton of modern insert sets listed on the registry....with no sets registered.

They (PSA) opened a can of worms and this will really clog up the registry...until a year or two from now and those sets are finally deleted.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Yes! There is a fine line about submitting.
    Case in point, I just sent almost 50 1972/73 Hockey cards to take advantage of this special. I am actively collecting this set, just won a Marcel Dionne PSA-9 last night and my set is on the registry. Some of the cards I submitted were cards I already have graded and some I sent multiples, so the highest grade goes in my set and the others will hit eBay or be in inventory. Others can submit cards hoping to add or start a registry set and then finances will dictate them selling the cards. So I'm sure the folks at PSA take much of this with a grain of salt...jay