Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What big finds of 2004

Ok 11hrs of 03 left lets look to 2004.

what big finds will we hear about you think.

lately i heard of the guy who found a 1922 plan cent in the wild. what are your feelings about the next big coin found or types of coins found that will rock the boards and or the coin world. also what do you think will be the next investment jump among the low end coins that might turn out to be something good to hold on to
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options

<< <i>lately i heard of the guy who found a 1922 plan cent in the wild >>

Would this be at a coin show? image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    apparently found in a change cup in i think a convenience store.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    i think it was nebraska a guy found it in a penny dish and sold it for 555$ or so not a bad find. just lookin for your opinions on what will be the biggest find of 2004 in the wild ( no coin shows or coin shops). also if you guys have any guess to which coin taht is on the low end might take a jump up in price this coming year
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    1. A couple dozen more 1804 Silver Dollars will be found, wedged in the cracks of old floorboard in a barn in Vermont owned by a collector who doesn't want to sell them.

2. A strongbox full of 1913 Liberty Nickels will surface near the Strip in Las Vegas in an empty lot, buried when the guys who made them were running from the Govt. men chasing them for misuing Mint equipment.

3. Another shipwreck, the Unlucky Looser, sunk off Venice beach in LA in the 1870's when it was a gambling ship, will be found with more early gold coins than you can count, totally throwing off all the carefully studied mintage totals from Mint records and all the estimates of surviving coins.

4. PGCC and NCG merge into one huge grading company with national standards, testing, licensure for graders, all under the FTC rules. Stock in Collectors Universe will split 4 ways three separate times.

5. Cupronickel goes to $100 per ounce and all the clad-modern collectors can retire early and sneer at the collectors who made fun of them.

6. Cupronickel turns out to be toxic like asbestos and all the collectors who sneered at the clad-modern collectors can keep sneering at them, except the modern collectors will all be hospitalized in iron lungs due to the toxic effects.

7. The computer program for grading coins including evaluating toning, authenticity, eye appeal, lustre and surface preservation will be developed at Microsoft. It will retail for $39.95 and it will revolutionize coin collecting. Microsoft will issue updates hourly all year.

8. The Mint will start a Countries of the World series for the Jefferson nickel once the two Lewis & Clark reverses flop; it will have a reverse for each country in the UN, issued at 7 per year, in rolls costing $50.00 each. The coins will be hand painted in bright colors by child labor in Bangladesh.

9. This Board will be the feature story in Time Magazine and people all over the world will ask themselves why we all love to spend so much time here. A board of psychiatrists will opine on what really drives the "collector" to collect.

10. The Reagan dime will be killed in Congress but the Peace Dollar will come back as the Reagan - 'Tear Down This Wall' dollar and it will be the most popular coin ever issued by the Mint, but people will figure out mid-year that the bald guy on the reverse is really Karl Marx and it will be dumped in droves by X-Mas.
    DSW
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    LOL, Lawman ... Proof and MS Jeff prices will jump as the new reverses are issued and it is considered a "closed" series as a design type. When the "regular" Jefferson returns, the obverse and return are likely to be different designs than now ...

Edited to add: Keep repeating: Obverse is heads, reverse is tails. Obverse is heads, reverse is tails ...
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Thankyou Lawman, that about sums it up.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    This would make a good doctoral dissertation. I nominate Airplanenut.

I think Lawman should consider the doctoral thesis, not Jeremy...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file