Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Comments on New PSA Price Structure

As I was preparing a submission of 1950's football commons for the December Collectors Club Special, I noticed that the current PSA submission form contains a new pricing structure. In short, under the old system, PSA charged less to Collectors Club members for service levels Regular and higher. Now they are charging the former non-member price to everyone. Second, they have changed the definition of "modern" for submissions to 1972 and later rather than 1975 and later. Third, Tall Boys now have their own submission level of $8. Fourth, and most interesting, the price for Vintage Commons is now tiered. For 1953 and earlier, the price is $8 (minimum order 25 cards), for 1954-1959, the price is $7 (min 50), for 1960-1971, the price is $6 (min 50), and for 1972 and later, the price is $6 (min 100).

Since I never submitted cards at the Regular service level or higher, the increases at those levels do not affect me. I imagine that those who are cost conscious on star cards will continue to submit at the economy level which has not changed in price.

I like the change in the definition of "modern" to 1972 and later since I collect, among other things, cards from those years. Especially with football, I thought that 1973 and 1974 cards were not submitted in the same quantities as 1975 and 1976 simply because it was not cost effective to do so.

I don't think that the change in tall boy pricing will have any effect on submissions. All of the Tall Boy sets in all sports are very popular with high grade commons being well worth grading at even the $8 level.

Finally, the new tiering for vintage commons is a good thing. It will spur submissions of 1960-1974 common cards, and leave the price unchanged for 1960-1971. Only those who submit 1953 and earlier will see a price increase but, frankly, the value of those commons makes a $1 increase in the grading fee reasonable.

The one big downside is for the submitter who usually sends in small submissions because the new minimums will make sending in small order not cost effective. I imagine that PSA realizes that the costs of processing an order (opening the package, verifying the contents, etc.) make its margin too small on small submissions at low price levels.

My guess is that this will mean the end of the specials as we knew them, at least for commons. I don't think that they will, for example, offer a $5 special on vintage commons.

John
Mainly collecting 1956-1980 Topps Football, 1960-1963 Fleer Football, 1964-1967 Philadelphia Football, 1957-1980 Topps Hockey, 1968-1980 O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and 1976 Topps Basketball. Looking for PSA 9 NQ (or higher) in 1972-1980, and PSA 8 NQ or higher for pre-1972.

Comments

• Options
    A question I'm sure someone on this board can answer:

Why does PSA charge different amounts for grading (For 1953 and earlier, the price is $8 (minimum order 25 cards), for 1954-1959, the price is $7 (min 50), for 1960-1971, the price is $6 (min 50), and for 1972 and later, the price is $6 (min 100)??

I haven't checked them all, but most of the bigger grading companies charge according to turnaround times.

Isn't grading a 1953 Topps the same as grading a 1954 Topps (or any other combination of price differences you want to put in there)?image

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    Ken:

I think there are at least three possible answers. First, generally speaking the older commons are worth more than the newer commons. A 1953 Topps baseball common in the first series books for $50, $125, and $310 in PSA 7, PSA 8, and PSA 9, respectively. Demand for grading of such cards will support a higher price. Compare this to a 1972 Topps baseball common (non-high series) which books for $6, $10, and $45, in PSA 7, PSA 8, and PSA 9, respectively. It doesn't make sense to grade these cards at $8 a pop compared to $6 unless the submitter is confident in the ability to get a very high success rate at PSA 9's.

The second answer, one which PSA may or may not dispute, is that the grader(s) spend more time on the more valuable cards. A grading mistake on a 1972 Topps common is not going to attract as much attention as say a mistake on a very valuable common or star card. Further, the chances of a card being altered increases with the value of the card.

Third, I think that there are fewer people who are qualified to grade the older cards than the newer cards. There are probably a lot of people who are familiar with the nuances of sets from the 70's compared to the 50's. I'm guessing from your name that you know a lot about 34 Goudey's, things such as whether there are size variations in the cards due to the cutting process or whether size variations are due to alterations. If this is true, then PSA has to pay more for graders that have specialized knowledge of the older cards.

My belief is that the first reason probably is closest to the "real" reason. Simply put, people will pay more to have cards graded that are more valuable.

John
    Mainly collecting 1956-1980 Topps Football, 1960-1963 Fleer Football, 1964-1967 Philadelphia Football, 1957-1980 Topps Hockey, 1968-1980 O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and 1976 Topps Basketball. Looking for PSA 9 NQ (or higher) in 1972-1980, and PSA 8 NQ or higher for pre-1972.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I give up !
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I admit..they could make the pricing a bit simpler...does one really need to break out a abacus in order to fill out a submission form?
  • Options
    I love the new kck-off line on the submission narrative from the web-site.

Submitting cards/tickets to PSA is easy

edited to add:
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Personally I am almost doing a back flip over the new pricing. I emailed PSA around 2 months ago about changing the definition of modern to 1972 and later because there is a big pricing difference between 1971's and 1972's and that seems like a logical place to split it. I thought my email just went into the trash but it looks like they are paying attention to us. I have about 200 or 300 1974's that are 8,9, and 10 quality that I have been sitting on waiting for a special.

As for PSA charging different prices for older cards, I think the reason is because they guarantee their grades. For example if they overgrade a 1952 Topps Mantle and have to do a buy back on it, they are at a much higher financial risk so that card requires the walk through service to make sure it gets the special attention it deserves. As for 70's commons, they are at nearly no financial risk to buy backs so they can charge less for grading. That's my best guess.

Anyways, kudos to PSA for these changes.
  • Options
    Havent had a chance to check these out yet but....

Are all the prices higher now?
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    ThePlasticMan:

All of the prices above economy have increased. Economy and Modern has stayed the same. Prices for all cards 1972-1974 have decreased because these years now fall under Modern Bulk (min 100 card submission). Prices for Vintage Commons have also decreased for 1960-1971 (min 50). Unless you submit at one of the levels of service above economy, submit commons 1953 and earlier, or submit Tall Boys commons, the change is for the better (assuming you have enough cards and money to meet the minimums).

John
  • Options
    Looks like bad news for the Goudey collectors (i.e. ME)image.

murcerfan: I agree. This whole thing has dollar signs written all over it for PSA (as if they aren't making enough as it is??)

Ken
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    I hadn't seen the new pricing until now. Thanks for pointing that out. It does seem that, like Wabbitwax said, many collectors will be submitting the large quantities of 73 and 74 cards that they had been sitting on.

spacktrack
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Not happy! As an "impatient" vintage collector, I usually use express or regular service. Express has increased from $15 to $25...an increase of 67%!!! Regular goes from $12.50 to $15...an increase of 20%. Tack on the $99 membership fee and you have some unhappy collectors.image My days of looking for raw cards for submission or other company's cards for crossover are over.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Totally agree with you Mantlefan. I believe I will start buying only graded 34 Goudey's outright, instead of buying raw and getting them graded. image

Ken
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Great way to shoot themselves in the foot.
    My last 2 5 day submissions?
    One was graded in 7 days, still haven't recieved it 3 weeks later.
    The other is still pending, pushing 24 days.
    Customer service promised to call me right back, 2 weeks ago.

Looks like the $99 and increased fees went for something other than increased service.image

Bottom line- I"ll buy more graded, and leave them in the holders that came in, whatever those may be.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    my vintage cards in screw downs are looking better and better just like they are.

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I don't submit alot of high $ cards, as my forte is 1960's cards, and thankfully the submissions went down from bulk of 100+ at $7.00 per to 50+ at $6.00 per. - So I can submit smaller quantities and save a buck a card in the process. So for me, this is advantageous.
    But I can understand all of your frustration regarding the other levels...jay
  • Options
    50 card min. and $6.00/card is taylor made for me!
    I am digging out my 1963-1969 cards now!
    Maybe I can even tack on a couple of % now to my 69' set. It has been almost dormant with the stiff ebay competition.
    Kudos to PSA from me.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Why does PSA choose to make submitting cards as difficult as taking a statistics class. I got tired of having to submit different cards, different sizes, different values, different years on different submission forms. How bout a pricing structure where cards are submitted on one submission form based on the amount you submit and the time you want them back...I guess it's too simple.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    murcerfan - but I thought you're a slabaholic. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    <<murcerfan - but I thought you're a slabaholic.>>

Nick- he is, but he's taking to growing his own!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>...How bout a pricing structure where cards are submitted on one submission form based on the amount you submit and the time you want them back...I guess it's too simple... >>

John,

I completely agree. At least they've started to eliminate some confusion with the submission form, but why can't they devise a system where you could submit a combination of cards on one submission? It would be great to see a form where you check a box for each service required, indicate the amount of cards submitted under that service level, and provide a subtotal for each service level and a Total of all at the bottom.

Here's My Suggestion:

A very simple form, it could be available online and printed by the submitter.

JEB.
  • Options

JEB,

That's too easy.It would never be adopted.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Vic,

You're probably correct.

I guess confusion generates more income? More s&h fees? I give up, what's the answer?

I can't think of another private company (government entities don't count image) that has a customer interface that is more confusing, even for generally knowledgeable customers.

Oh yeah, where's that list of card issues that will be slabbed in the new T3 holders, if they even exist? What do those fall under on the "new submission form"? Basically, can I submit cards up to 6" x 8" yet or not. I haven't been able to get an answer to this question by phone, email, or this message board. image

JEB.
  • Options
    JEB ,

Then the guy that thinks up PSA 's current complicated system would be out of a job. Think of him and his family. And all the hard work he has done.

James
    x
  • Options

<< <i>JEB ,

Then the guy that thinks up PSA 's current complicated system would be out of a job. Think of him and his family. And all the hard work he has done.

James >>

James,

You're right. I was very inconsiderate of his feelings in my previous post. We should all thank him, in fact, I think Dude should do a tribute to:

Mr. Vague PSA Submission Form Creator image

JEB.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Jeb, I clicked on Carol's link from the other post, and it seems that the T3 holders are available and gradable. They are pricey though:

SUPER EXPRESS
    $35 per card
    All Super Sized cards such as T3's, Cabinets, etc. must be submitted under this service or higher. This includes autographed cards 2 BUSINESS DAYS GUARANTEED

(Autographed Cards: 20 business days)

Good Luck, STEVE.