Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New eBay Feedback Features Coming....

I hope the part about the icons means we can just click on the negative icon and read all the negs rather then having to sift through it all like we do now.

<< <i>***Feedback: Preview the New Member Profile Design***

Date: 11/26/03 Time: 03:37:07 PM PST

Feedback is at the heart of establishing reputation on eBay. Over the past few months, we have been soliciting input from the Community on our ideas for enhancing the feedback profile layout and design. Our goal is to make it even easier for eBay buyers and sellers to assess the reputation of potential trading partners.

These updates will result in a page called "Member Profile" which will be introduced early next year.

Among the features in the Member Profile, we are including:

New tabs for quick access to buyer feedback, seller feedback, and feedback left for others
New positive, neutral and negative feedback icons to make it easy to scan feedback
New feedback rating table organized in 1-month, 6-month and 12-month intervals
New pagination model that uses significantly less screen space.

Please note that the new Member Profile only affects design and layout; we have not changed the feedback policy or the way the feedback forum works.

We want your input - Take the Member Profile tour.

As we finalize the design, we have developed a tour of the new features and layout in order to gather member feedback and suggestions. Please take a moment to take the Member Profile tour and email us your questions at feedbackdesign@ebay.com.

We appreciate your participation and input in this preview.

Regards,
eBay

THE TOUR >>

Skip

I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
TUSTIN CA

Comments

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

The main feedback thing they need to change is allowing "private feedback".
    What's the use of feedback if you can't even read it ?

"private auctions" also need to go.
    "private" feedback and auctions are only used by crooks.

Oh well, ... as long as they're selling their crap IN VOLUME, eBay seems not to care ...
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

• << <i>The main feedback thing they need to change is allowing "private feedback".
    What's the use of feedback if you can't even read it ? >>

I agree, and sent then an email about it....if they get enough emails, maybe they will do something about it.

I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I hope they get rid of the neutrals from members no longer registered. Back in the late 90's...if a person gave you a positive and then if they cancelled their account...all of the positives they had given would turn to neutrals.

• << <i>I hope the part about the icons means we can just click on the negative icon and read all the negs rather then having to sift through it all like we do now. >>

no, it does not.

check out the bottom of
    this page Link

and read where is says:
    "New positive, neutral and negative feedback icons
    to make it easy to scan feedback"
    and if you see the photo next to it
    you will understand that they have simply
    changed the Words (positive, neutral, negative)
    to be a Green Plus sign, Gray Circle and
    Red Minus sign. So it really means you will be able
    to SCROLL through it easier.... they just
    used the word SCAN to raise then dash our
    hopes!
    imageimage
  • also on This LINK they have
    begun the FAQ list for this change
    (although no answers have been listed yet)
    they DO have a question for it....

"Why doesn't the Member Profile give people
    the ability to sort by positive, negatives and neutrals?"

So obviously we are not the Only ones
    interested in that feature.

I would be very interested in their answer.
    imageimage
  • spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭

<< <i>These updates will result in a page called "Member Profile" which will be introduced early next year. >>

I'm curious as to how early in the new year this will become a part of the feedback system.
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    > I would be very interested in their answer.

Looks like they posted the answers. I can't say I agree with their
    decision, buy now I at least see where they're coming from. Here's
    what they posted:

>>>Why doesn't the Member Profile give people the ability to sort by
    positive, negatives and neutrals?

eBay believes that it is important for a member who is evaluating the
    reputation of a potential trading partner to look at the person's
    reputation as a whole, not just a single component of their reputation.
    We also understand, however, the need to easily identify different
    ratings (positive, neutral, negative) as part of the purchase
    decision-making process.

We have balanced these two needs by creating easy-to-identify icons for
    different types of feedback ratings, enabling members to scan for
    important information, while maintaining the importance of examining
    someone's reputation in the context of overall experience. <<<

• I think that I will "sell" a non existent magical machine that will allow someone to "see" all the private feedbacks that a seller has.I will get this up this weekend and see how many people will bid on it.Maybe if enough people respond,E-Bay will take notice.Probably not but it might be interesting to see how many people are fed up with the private feedback @R*P.Spread the word when you see it and let's see what kind of response it gets.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.

• I hope this changes will not lead to an increase in ebay fees.

RIP Snow
  • I support eBay not allowing people to easily see all negative feedbacks on one page. Enough people already just look at the number of negatives 10,000+ feedback ebay sellers have and consider them a poor seller without looking at the % of negative feedback. A seller with 99.5% positive feedback and a 100,000 feedback rating will have a total of 500 negative feedbacks (actually many more from non unique users). 99.5% positive feedback is what I would consider a stellar rating. When you consider the number of fraudulent transaction, mistakes in entering feedback, new users who don't understand the system entirely, and just plain jerks, satisfying 199 out of every 200 customers sounds pretty good to me. Seeing page after page of negative feedback could be a strong deterrent for those who are considering buying from the seller. IMO, in 3-5 years when sellers start to close in on the 1,000,000 feedback mark, eBay will have to do something about the number of negative feedbacks shown in the profile. 99.5% positive feedback on 1,000,000 total amounts to 5,000 negatives (probably over 7,500 after non unique users). Seeing that amount would surely turn away a few people from the seller. I assume to remedy this, eBay could institute something along the lines of not listing the total number of negative feedback in the user profile and instead just showing the feedback percentage.

On a somewhat related topic, I've always felt how a seller responds to their negative feedback shows a lot about the seller's professionalism and overall service level. It seems like 90% of the negative feedback I see has a response something along the lines of "Idiot Buyer! He didn't pay and leaves me a negative?!? Do not trust!". When I see comments like those, it makes me think the seller is a hot head who needs to learn more about running a business and dealing with customers. When I see a comment which simply states the person feels the negative feedback is unwarranted and the buyer failed to follow through with the transaction, I feel I am buying from someone who takes their eBay business seriously.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Must disagree. I don't care if you have a billion positive feedbacks, the 500 negatives ARE STILL important.
    Your argument is the same BS that most "Power Sellers" want us to believe.

In the end, you satisfy your large volume of buyers, or you don't.
    Either way, it should be reflected in your feedback. You can't have it both ways ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

• << <i>Must disagree. I don't care if you have a billion positive feedbacks, the 500 negatives ARE STILL important. >>

I am not saying the negatives are not important, what I am saying is that it is simply not possible to maintain a 100% feedback rating when you go up in feedback. You will be defrauded, receive clueless users who don't understand feedback, receive a mistaken feedback, get a total jerk who leaves a negative feedback no matter what, or something along those lines. Using your example, what I am trying to say is that if you are able to receive 1 billion feedbacks and only receive 500 negatives, you have done an utterly fantastic job as 19,999,999 in every 20,00,000 people are satisfied with you. Using a more realistic number, if 199 out of every 200 people are happy with your services, then I feel you have done a good job as an eBay seller. Maintaining anything higher than that can be a very difficult job due to what I listed above.
  • VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>... if 199 out of every 200 people are happy with your services, then I feel you have done a good job as an eBay seller. Maintaining anything higher than that can be a very difficult job due to what I listed above. >>

Not that difficult

Clearly list your item and the shipping charges, send the item in a timely manner and safely packaged, and communicate well with the high bidder and there's no reason to ever get a negative feedback. I'm not saying that there aren't some idiots out there who will screw up the system every once in a while, but it is reasonable to expect a higher feedback rating than 99.5% from a volume seller.

I am closing in on 3000 feedbacks myself with no neutrals or negatives - My Feedback

I know there's some luck involved, but 1 out of 200 negatives is not that good. It would mean that I'd have about 14 negatives right now. If I had that many, I would have to think about what I could do to improve my service as a seller or what I am doing wrong as a buyer.

JEB.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>... if 199 out of every 200 people are happy with your services, then I feel you have done a good job as an eBay seller. Maintaining anything higher than that can be a very difficult job due to what I listed above. >>

Not that difficult

Clearly list your item and the shipping charges, send the item in a timely manner and safely packaged, and communicate well with the high bidder and there's no reason to ever get a negative feedback. I'm not saying that there aren't some idiots out there who will screw up the system every once in a while, but it is reasonable to expect a higher feedback rating than 99.5% from a volume seller.

I am closing in on 3000 feedbacks myself with no neutrals or negatives - My Feedback

I know there's some luck involved, but 1 out of 200 negatives is not that good. It would mean that I'd have about 14 negatives right now. If I had that many, I would have to think about what I could do to improve my service as a seller or what I am doing wrong as a buyer.

JEB. >>

i recieved a neutral from an idiot that bought a 99 cent LP record album from me. He left a neutral because he didnt like the MUSIC!! not because anything was wrong with the album.. hmmm.. I cant help it that the Moody Blues put out some albums that sucked..

other than that, all my feedback has been positive.. but thats only 230+ feedbacks..
    ·p_A·

• << <i>I know there's some luck involved, but 1 out of 200 negatives is not that good. It would mean that I'd have about 14 negatives right now. If I had that many, I would have to think about what I could do to improve my service as a seller or what I am doing wrong as a buyer.

JEB. >>

I've gotten negatives from people who sent cash (under $10) and I didn't receive it within a week, so they thought I was trying to rip them off. I got 3 from a guy who bought 4 "worthless" sets from the late 80s/early 90s - like 91 Pro Set football - that were apparently missing 2-3 commons in three of the sets - total book value $.50. I offered him a $5 refund for any hassle, and he accepted - and went ahead and left 3 negatives on the sets being incomplete! Got one the other day where a person thought they were buying 100 PSA graded cards for $5, not one card as it clearly stated.

I'm glad you don't have any negatives, but I can assure you that you will run into that one nutcase you can't help. The other thing is - I will NOT be held feedback hostage and cowtow to whatever demands the customer may have. I'll do everything in my power to make something write, but "send this or I'll leave a negative" will get nowhere with me.
  • VaYankVaYank Posts: 24 ✭✭

<< <i>Got one the other day where a person thought they were buying 100 PSA graded cards for $5, not one card as it clearly stated. >>

Beefcake >

I am about to blow out a big lot of dupes and the like in a similar -- could share a link to auction in question. I want to block the bidder. The only 100 card lots and 100 card grab bags I have seen have been from vintageauctions, and that's not you.
    Matthew Natale
    Alexandria, Va
    Vayank@aol.com

Building a SGC 1977 Topps Set.
    Pay Pal Verified.