Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grading foreign bullion

Does anyone know the standards used by PCGS to grade Silver Libertads, Britannias, Maples, Panda's etc...? I know how to "self grade" US Coins as the standards are widely known but I have no idea about these foreign bullion coins. I have a Silver Libertad that is, as far as I can tell, near perfect with the exception of 1 small hit on her arm stretched downwards. I'm wondering how much this will take off the grade.

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I don't know. But I figure they'd use the same or very similar criteria for foreign bullion as modern US bullion and coins.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    PCGS tends to be more strict when grading foreign bullion than American silver eagles for some unknown reason. In general, subtract one grade point on foreign bullion as compared to an "equivalent" silver eagle. I have personally seen "perfect looking" silver Britannias or silver pandas that only graded PCGS MS68. On the other hand, PCGS has gotten much less strict on silver eagles with many spotted or dinged coins receiving the MS69 grade. This fact along with a population explosion has driven market pricing on a complete MS69 silver eagle set from a high of about $1,800 a couple years ago to around $900 or less today.
    My eBay Auctions

Silver Eagle Coin Company Website
    Silver Chinese Pandas, Canadian Maple Leafs, Australian Kookaburras, Mexican Libertads, and Austrian Philharmonics NOW AVAILABLE at Excellent Prices!