Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Scanner vs. Digital Camera test with a pretty English coin

To test what I can do with my new Nikon camera vs. my Visioneer scanner I took side by side images of the same coin with the same background color. Here are the results:

SCANNER:

CAMERA:

(edited to add that this is a silver British Three Shilling dated 1812)

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    Quite an improvement in image quality.
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I was thrilled with the result.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    no comparison - the camera really shows what we have been missing with scans.
    Shep
  • Options
    What a difference and a great coin too!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "...images of the same coin with the same background color." --Mortuus Rex

...and would that background color happen to be an NGC sl*b ?????

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    The scanner's not bad, but washed out. The digipic is an excellent improvement.

1jester - slab cop.image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Good eye 1jester - the dead king is busted once again!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options

<< <i>"...images of the same coin with the same background color." --Mortuus Rex

...and would that background color happen to be an NGC sl*b ?????

imageimageimage >>

No, not at all!!!!!

It's an ANACS slab.image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Quite a difference Michael! The camera can see that same coin many ways too. Placing the differing background colors (even construction paper) drastically alters how your camera will see coins.
    Joe
  • Options

<< <i>Quite a difference Michael! The camera can see that same coin many ways too. Placing the differing background colors (even construction paper) drastically alters how your camera will see coins. >>

That will be somethinf fun to experiment with Joe, thanks for the tip.....Oh and the coin!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the scatches are on the ANACS slab and not the coin. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    The scratches are on the slab, the coin is a 63.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither does the coin justice- I know, since I have seen it in person. (I'm going on memory, true, but having seen the coin in Charlotte and then again in Asheville, it is pretty well blazoned on my retinas.)

While the camera is better at showing the fine details (and slab scratches), I think the scanner is a bit more accurate in this one particular instance (though the pic does look a bit washed out). That reddish reflection in the camera shot does not portray that blazing white beauty like it should- it almost makes it look like a copper coin!

I see some great possibilities with that new camera of yours, but you will probably need to practice with your lighting a bit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Being colorblind can't help matters. I don't see anything red.image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your camera shot looks like a copper coin, almost.

Hmm. I already said that, didn't I?

Anyway, the camera shot is technically better, perhaps, though the color on the scanner shot is (a little) closer to the true appearance of the coin. (Which is FAR superior to either picture).

Not suggestin' your pictures suck- they don't-but knowing that coin from personal viewings, I must say that neither picture does it any justice. It's gotta be hard to capture the beauty of a blazer like that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Being colorblind can't help matters. I don't see anything red.image >>

Your flesh is reflected in the coin a bit.